No breakdown in talks with Naga group: Interlocutor PandeyJuly 29th, 2010 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
By George Joseph
New Delhi, July 29 (IANS) There is no breakdown in the ongoing talks here with the rebel National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Isak-Muivah), the central government’s interlocutor R.S. Pandey said Thursday.
“Talks are being held here in a cordial atmosphere. It will resume in the coming days,” Pandey told IANS.
Pandey’s statement comes amidst media reports and speculation in security circles that the talks were “not moving ahead”.
The interlocutor said there were talks Wednesday between him and NSCN(I-M) general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah. “Today we had informal interactions. The talks will continue in the coming days.”
“We have been able to reach agreement on certain issues. We have yet to agree on certain other issues. But the talks will continue,” he said.
During talks Thursday, they reviewed the issues covered in the past few months, Pandey said.
He said the two sides are trying to “narrow down the differences and reach better understanding”.
Pandey said Muivah, who arrived here 10 days ago, had met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Home Minister P. Chidambaram. NSCN(I-M) leaders had met the prime minister and other leaders in March too, he said.
The NSCN(I-M), the major rebel group of Nagaland, has held nearly 50 round of talks in India and abroad with the centre’s interlocutors, since the organisation signed the historic ceasefire agreement with the government in August 1977.
Nagaland had been hit by insurgency since the Naga National Council (NNC), led by A.N. Phizo, declared “independence” on Aug 14, 1947. The NNC entered into a peace accord - the Shillong Accord - in 1975.
However, those against the Shillong accord - led by Isak Chisi Swu, Thuigaleng Muivah and S.S. Khaplang - formed the NSCN in 1980. The organisation has been demanding integration of all areas dominated by the Naga tribal people and a “special relation with India” with more powers to the “Greater Nagaland”.
In 1988, Khaplang broke away from Isak and Muivah and formed a new group NSCN(K). The rival outfits have been trading charges against each other.
Meanwhile, reports from Kohima said the United Nagaland Council (UGC) has threatened to resume the economic blockade on Manipur if the “demands of the Naga people are not accpeted by July 31 by the centre”.
Pandey told IANS that the “UGC threat and talks with NSCN, which are proceeding in an cordial atmosphere were two separate issues”.
- Government of India not in favour of 'Greater Nagaland' - Mar 02, 2010
- Naga leaders meet Manmohan Singh seek sovereignty of 'Greater Nagaland' - Mar 02, 2010
- Rebel Naga leaders in Delhi for talks - Feb 28, 2010
- Nagas take part in rally to support peace talks - Mar 03, 2010
- Rebel Naga group ousts its chief - Jun 08, 2011
- Centre extends ceasefire agreement with NSCN-K - May 04, 2010
- NSCN (IM) leaders positive about Naga solution - Mar 12, 2011
- Naga leaders agree for 'mutually acceptable' settlement with Centre - Jan 24, 2011
- Govt. wishes "an honourable negotiated settlement" from talks with NSCN (IM) team - Mar 03, 2010
- New interlocutor for talks with NSCN (IM) - Feb 11, 2010
- NSCN talks in April, new interlocutor to be appointed (Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- Sovereignty on mind, Nagas optimistic about talks - Feb 28, 2010
- Naga separatists, government 'narrow down' differences - Jul 18, 2011
- Of reconciliation and roadblocks in Nagaland (News Analysis) - Mar 23, 2010
- NSCN status sparks row in India's northeast - Nov 18, 2011
Tags: ceasefire agreement, central government, cordial atmosphere, general secretary, home minister, informal interactions, interlocutor, interlocutors, isak, manmohan, manmohan singh, national socialist, nscn, p chidambaram, peace accord, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rebel group, security circles, shillong