No bail for mining baron ReddyMay 30th, 2012 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 30 (IANS) Former Karnataka minister and mining baron G. Janardhana Reddy’s bail plea was rejected by a court here Wednesday on the ground that his offence was of “high magnitude” and he could tamper with the evidence if released from jail.
Reddy has been in a Bangalore jail since March 2 in connection with alleged illegal mining by Associated Mining Co owned by him.
His jail stay, however, started Sep 5 last year when he was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) from his hometown Bellary in north Karnataka and lodged in Hyderabad’s Chanchalaguda jail in connection with an illegal mining case in Andhra Pradesh.
He was brought to Bangalore by CBI March 2.
Rejecting the bail plea, CBI Special Court judge B.M. Angadi said Reddy’s offence was of “high magnitude affecting the very economy of the country”.
Judge Angadi noted that the probe in the case was still on and said the accused could tamper with the evidence or threaten witnesses.
The bail pleas of Reddy’s personal assistant Mehfuz Ali Khan and three other accused were also dismissed.
Reddy was tourism minister in the first BJP government in Karnataka headed by B.S. Yeddyurappa who too is facing a CBI probe into charges that his family took kickbacks from two mining firms.
Yeddyurappa, who quit last year, has sought anticipatory bail in the case but the CBI is opposing it. The court will resume hearing on the plea June 1.
- Bangalore court summons wife of jailed mining baron Reddy - Jul 02, 2012
- Mining baron Reddy in CBI custody till March 12 - Mar 02, 2012
- No bail to mining baron Reddy - Mar 12, 2012
- Hearing on Janardhana Reddy's bail plea after a week (Lead) - Sep 22, 2011
- Court again declines bail to Janardhana Reddy - Sep 30, 2011
- Janardhana Reddy's bail plea rejected again - Nov 17, 2011
- Janardhana Reddy's bail plea dismissed yet again - Jan 31, 2012
- Reddy returns to Bangalore after six months, as an accused (Second Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- CBI judge in Hyderabad suspended on Rs.5 crore bribe charge (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Karnataka BJP MLA Somasekhara Reddy held in cash-for-bail deal (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Yeddyurappa gets bail in one case - Nov 03, 2011
- Suspended CBI judge faces arrest for taking bribe (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Yeddyurappa's anticipatory bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- CBI raids Reddy associates' residences - Sep 11, 2011
- Yeddyurappa, kin get anticipatory bail in bribery case (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: ali khan, angadi, bail plea, bail pleas, bangalore, bellary, bjp government, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, court judge, economy, hometown, karnataka minister, kickbacks, magnitude, north karnataka, offence, personal assistant, tourism minister