No auto-rickshaws for school kids in Chandigarh from Jan 1December 5th, 2008 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 5 (IANS) Chandigarh administration Friday announced it has banned auto-rickshaws from ferrying schoolchildren to their schools from Jan 1. Scores of auto-rickshaws in the city daily ferry hundreds of school children to and fro from their institutions. However, the vehicles are considered dangerous as they lose their balance easily and also because drivers overload their vehicles.
Chandigarh’s state transport authority secretary Vandana Disodia said the administration’s decision has been conveyed to the auto-rickshaw union and its members.
She said the administration has instead suggested that auto-rickshaw drivers switch over to four-wheeled mini-vans which are covered from all sides. The administration has even offered loans to auto-rickshaw operators through government financial institutions for this purpose.
Disodia said that any violation of the ban would be strictly dealt with.
The administration had last month announced that all school buses will have to be fitted with speed governors with a maximum speed limit of 40 km per hour to be permitted to ply on city roads and ferry schoolchildren.
- 30-year-old auto rickshaws banned in Pakistani city - Jul 22, 2012
- Auto-rickshaws older than 10 years banned in Ranchi - May 15, 2012
- Court dismisses petitions against GPS systems for Delhi autos - Sep 17, 2012
- Bengal comes out with directives for cabs, auto rickshaws - Aug 22, 2012
- Chandigarh autos to go green (Lead) - Dec 22, 2009
- Indefinite auto strike in Delhi from Wednesday - May 17, 2011
- 670 autos fined in Delhi - Jun 10, 2011
- Chandigarh turns pink with 'Tuk-Tuk' auto-rickshaw - Sep 09, 2009
- Chandigarh to have radio auto service - May 21, 2009
- Autorickshaw users expect smooth ride after court order - Nov 12, 2011
- Commuting by CNG driven autos, taxis to cost dearly in Mumbai - Jun 22, 2010
- Delhi not to phase out autos -- now: Dikshit - Mar 18, 2010
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012
- Over 10,000 auto-rickshaws to go off Delhi roads Monday - Nov 14, 2010
- Delhi not to phase out autos for now, says Dikshit (Lead) - Mar 18, 2010