‘No action against MP who tore Lokpal bill’February 1st, 2012 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 1 (IANS) The Rajya Sabha has conceded that despite a provision in parliamentary rules, no action was taken against Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) MP Rajneeti Prasad, who tore a copy of the Lokpal bill during a debate in the house Dec 29, 2011, an RTI activist said Wednesday.
Activist Subhash Chandra Agrawal had filed the Right to Information (RTI) application Jan 2.
In its reply, the Rajya Sabha secretariat said the matter was being considered by a house committee.
Agrawal said the committee is also looking into possible action against some civil-society members like Kiran Bedi and actor Om Puri for “insulting parliamentarians”.
The activist said that frequent disruptions and stalling of parliament have become common, killing precious time for debates.
“This calls for abolishing the immunity available to parliamentarians for their activities inside the house by bringing these not only under normal law of land but also under the Lokpal,” Agrawal said in a statement.
- I tore the bill because it was bad: Rajniti Prasad - Dec 30, 2011
- Parliament considering privilege motions against Bedi, Om Puri - Aug 29, 2011
- I will not say sorry to parliament: Bedi - Sep 02, 2011
- Anna unwell, team meeting postponed - Dec 31, 2011
- Lokpal Bill banks on people's legal illiteracy: Bedi - Aug 15, 2012
- Are Indian MPs 'anpadh'? Not at all show parliament records - Aug 28, 2011
- Rajya Sabha disrupted, adjourned for 15 minutes (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Rare late night sitting in Rajya Sabha (Sidelights) - Dec 30, 2011
- First give me proof, Kejriwal says of privilege motion - Sep 05, 2011
- Lokpal debate bypassing standing committee: Lalu Prasad - Aug 27, 2011
- Team Anna faces MPs' ire, notices to Kejriwal, Bhushan - Sep 03, 2011
- Onus on government to pass Lokpal bill: Kiran Bedi - Dec 30, 2011
- Day after Lokpal bill failure, battlelines drawn (Afternoon Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- 70 Lok Sabha MPs yet to reveal assets - Apr 17, 2010
- Kejriwal, Bedi meet Advani over Lokpal bill - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: activist, agrawal, chandra, debates, disruptions, house committee, immunity, janata, killing precious time, New Delhi, om puri, parliamentarians, parliamentary rules, prasad, rajya sabha secretariat, reply, rjd, rti, secretariat, society members