No action against Ismail Darbar: Oscar panelJune 10th, 2011 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 10 (IANS) The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has denied any action against Indian music composer Ismail Darbar for alleging that A.R. Rahman “bought” his Oscars for “Slumdog Millionaire” in 2009.
“The Academy does not plan any action relative to Mr. Darbar’s comments. It is simply not possible to ‘buy’ an Academy Award. While some individuals might disagree with the results of our voting processes, the Academy stands behind the integrity of the voting,” the Academy’s publicist told IANS in an e-mail.
Darbar told a daily: “I just don’t understand how the music for that movie (’Slumdog Millionaire’) won the prestigious award. What was Oscar-worthy about it? Nothing. I would have been happy had he won it for films like ‘Roja’ or ‘Bombay’. He did not deserve it. And, I know that it has been bought,” said Darbar.
“Rahman is a very good businessman, he knows how to handle his public relations. I will yet again say that he has bought the Oscar. I have proof that ‘Jai Ho’ is not his. It has been done by someone else. All the big filmmakers like Subhash Ghai, Mani Ratnam know about it.”
Media reports indicated that the Academy was planning to sue Darbar for $50 million for his adverse comments, but it turns out that these were just rumours.
In 2009, Rahman brought pride to India by winning two Oscars - for the best original score for “Slumdog Millionaire” as well as for the best original song “Jai ho” for the same movie.
- Darbar's charge 'unprecedented and preposterous': Oscar panel - Jun 11, 2011
- Rahman hopes 'DAM 999' brings back Oscar - Dec 21, 2011
- Rahman performs at Oscars again - Feb 27, 2012
- I've never dreamt of winning these awards: Rahman - Feb 01, 2010
- Rahman loses BAFTA - Feb 14, 2011
- Rahman got one Oscar and then the other one was a bonus: Gulzar - Mar 02, 2011
- 'Jai ho' Rahman at Golden Globe nominations again (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Rahman loses out on Globe Globe (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Jai ho' fetches a bouquet of global awards for Rahman - Feb 01, 2010
- Rahman to perform at Oscars again - Feb 05, 2011
- All gone in fire, grieves 'Slumdog' star Rubina Ali - Mar 05, 2011
- Rahman in Oscar run again with two nominations for '127 Hours' - Jan 25, 2011
- Chennai celebrates A. R. Rahman winning two Grammy awards - Feb 01, 2010
- Rahman, Ilaiyaraaja get Padma Bhushan, Rekha Padma Shri - Jan 25, 2010
- After Rahman, Yash Chopra signs Gulzar for his next - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: 50 million, academy award, academy of motion picture, academy of motion picture arts and sciences, best original score, best original song, bombay, e mail, filmmakers, good businessman, indian music, ismail darbar, jai, millionaire, motion picture arts, music composer, New Delhi, oscars, prestigious award, publicist