NMDC detects tunnel-like structure under hillockMarch 5th, 2012 - 10:43 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 5 (IANS) The National Mineral Development Corp (NMDC) has detected a tunnel like structure under Naubat Pahad, the famous hillock in the heart of the city, giving credence to talks of a treasure trove.
After 13-day-long geophysical explorations at the foothills of Naubat Pahad in the Vidyaranya School campus, the NMDC Monday submitted a report to the archaeology epartment of the Andhra Pradesh government.
The NMDC researchers also took the help of geophysicists from the National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI) and academics of Osmania University.
After three days of digging, the archaeology department sought the help of NMDC to go into a sworn affidavit by construction workers about a treasure trove at Naubat Pahad.
The archaeology department now plans to resume the excavations after the ongoing ICSE exams.
The experts have rubbished claims that the excavation could endanger the Birla Mandir located on the hillock.
A group of nine people including Coal India official Sitaram Raju had submitted a sworn affidavit to the archaeology department claiming that a storage room with treasure was inside the storage facility.
According to them, a cave existed in the school premises and there was a treasure trove inside.
Their affidavit was based on the information provided by Mallesh, a mason who reportedly saw the cave and the treasure four years ago but kept quiet fearing for his life.
- 'Stone mining threatens ancient cave site in Kashmir' - Apr 19, 2012
- Kanheri Caves made part of 'Clean India' campaign - Aug 03, 2012
- Al Qaeda hid attack plan in porn movie (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Al Qaeda's Europe attack plans found hidden in porn movie - May 01, 2012
- New relics found in UAE - Jan 17, 2012
- Mild tremors in parts of Andhra trigger panic - Jan 26, 2012
- Australian Aborigines reachedmerica first? - Oct 01, 2010
- Gujarat acts to curb illegal mining after court's intervention - Jan 21, 2011
- Archeologists reveal Boston brothel secrets - Feb 03, 2011
- Scientist Find 15 Million Year Old Marsupial Fossil in the Outback - Jul 19, 2010
- Previously unknown Himalayan cave culture discovered - Mar 01, 2011
- Documentation of Padmanabhaswamy temple treasure begins - Feb 20, 2012
- Two killed in Croatian plane crash - May 17, 2012
- Rumblings create quake scare in Hyderabad - Oct 25, 2010
- It's official: Peshawar is the 'Oldest Living City' in South Asia - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh government, archaeology department, birla, coal india, credence, geophysical research institute, geophysicists, heart of the city, hillock, mineral development, national geophysical, ngri, nmdc, raju, school premises, sitaram, storage facility, storage room, sworn affidavit, treasure trove