NLFT militants kidnap three farmers in TripuraMay 7th, 2012 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, May 7 (IANS) At least three tribal farmers were abducted at gunpoint and taken to neighbouring Bangladesh by the outlawed National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) militants, police said Monday.
“Four tribal farmers were kidnapped by the heavily-armed and banned militants while they working in their mountainous ‘Jhum’ (slash and burn method of cultivation) field at Gandachara in northern Tripura,” a police spokesman told reporters.
Quoting eye-witnesses, the police official said that the militants took the hostages to Bangladesh through the unfenced border.
“From the captivity of the NlFT rebels, one of the four hostages managed to escape in the afternoon,” the official added.
Tripura police have asked the Border Security Force (BSF) to talk to their counterparts in Bangladesh to rescue the captives.
Those still in the captivity of the tribal guerillas in Bangladesh include, Pradhanjoy ,27, Rabinjoy, 20 and Mahancha,30.
Senior police officials have rushed to the spot, 185 km north of here, and are keeping in touch with the BSF officials.
The NLFT and the All Tripura Tiger Force, both banned by Indian authorities, have set up their bases in Bangladesh and get support from other separatist outfits of the northeast. They have been demanding secession of Tripura from India.
Tripura shares a 856 km border with Bangladesh.
- Tripura farmers released by banned outfit - May 30, 2012
- Armed guerrillas abduct four workers in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Abducted Tripura tribals flee rebels' camp in Bangladesh - Dec 02, 2011
- Militants kidnap four workers in Tripura - Nov 27, 2010
- Tripura guerrillas abduct eight villagers - Jul 20, 2011
- Militants take abducted Tripura villagers to Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2011
- Militants abduct 11 labourers in Tripura - Dec 08, 2010
- NLFT guerrillas abduct five Tripura farmers - Sep 01, 2010
- Tribal militants abduct six people in Tripura - Jul 01, 2011
- Abducted Tripura tribals taken to Bangladesh - Dec 10, 2010
- Three militants arrested in Tripura - Jun 18, 2012
- Tripura militants recruiting youth, warns intelligence - Jun 21, 2012
- Militants kidnap three CPI-M activists in Tripura - Sep 16, 2010
- No trace of hostages, fencing work stops - Apr 02, 2012
- Terrorists reviving outfits in Tripura, says police chief - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: abducted, agartala, bangladesh, border security force, captives, captivity, counterparts, eye witnesses, farmers, guerillas, gunpoint, hostages, indian authorities, national liberation front, police official, police officials, police spokesman, rebels, secession, tiger force