NLFT guerrillas abduct five Tripura farmersSeptember 1st, 2010 - 2:50 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Sep 1 (IANS) Separatist guerrillas have abducted five tribal villagers in northern Tripura and demanded that each household in their village cough up a sum of Rs.1,000 for their release, police said here Wednesday.
Militants of the National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) kidnapped the farmers Sunday night from Boalkhali, a tribal hamlet in northern Tripura’s Dhalai district bordering the Chittagong Hill Tracts of southeast Bangladesh. As the place was very remote, the incident was reported to police Tuesday night.
“The tribal farmers, all aged between 40 and 43, were guarding their ‘jhum’ crops (meant for slash-and-burn cultivation) atop the hills at Boalkhali when a group of heavily armed terrorists raided the region and kidnapped them at gunpoint,” director general of Tripura police Pranay Sahaya told reporters.
Troopers of the Border Security Force (BSF) and Tripura State Rifles led by senior police officials have launched a search operation.
According to a district police official, the NLFT militants have sent a note to the village chief seeking a huge ransom.
“All 250 families of the Boalkhali village have to pay Rs.1,000 as financial support to the outfit and only after the amount is paid will the hostages be released,” police said.
The banned NLFT along with another outlawed outfit, All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTF), has been fighting for an independent tribal homeland in Tripura and operates out of Bangladesh.
The militancy has been tamed to a large extent in the northeastern state of Tripura. According to an official document, over 8,200 tribal guerrillas have surrendered to the authorities since 1993.
- Militants kidnap three CPI-M activists in Tripura - Sep 16, 2010
- Armed guerrillas abduct four workers in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Militants kidnap four workers in Tripura - Nov 27, 2010
- NLFT militants kidnap three farmers in Tripura - May 07, 2012
- Abducted Tripura tribals flee rebels' camp in Bangladesh - Dec 02, 2011
- Militants abduct 11 labourers in Tripura - Dec 08, 2010
- Three Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Jul 04, 2012
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Tripura farmers released by banned outfit - May 30, 2012
- Ten Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Nov 03, 2011
- Militants take abducted Tripura villagers to Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2011
- 16 Tripura terrorists flee Bangladeshi camps, surrender - Aug 11, 2010
- Abducted Tripura tribals taken to Bangladesh - Dec 10, 2010
- Official killed in militant ambush in Tripura - Jan 31, 2011
- Tripura guerrillas abduct eight villagers - Jul 20, 2011
Tags: abducted, attf, border security force, bsf, chittagong hill tracts, district police, gunpoint, militancy, national liberation front, northeastern state, official document, police official, police officials, rs 1, search operation, separatist guerrillas, state of tripura, tiger force, tribal homeland, village chief