Niue - the only country with no diplomatic ties with IndiaAugust 11th, 2010 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) India is going to start talks with Niue, a South Pacific island which is the only sovereign country in the world to have no diplomatic ties with New Delhi.
External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna told the Lok Sabha in a written reply Wednesday: “Both countries have expressed willingness to establish diplomatic relations.”
“The next step will be to hold discussions on this matter at an early date,” he added.
Nieu, located in the South Pacific Ocean, is the world’s smallest self-governing island nation.
Known as the “Rock of Polynesia”, it is home to barely 2,000 islanders. It operates in free association with New Zealand which is obliged under the island’s constitution to provide “necessary economic and administrative assistance”.
The technology-savvy country became the world’s first “WiFi nation” in 2003 when it offered free wireless internet service to all residents.
- India forges diplomatic ties with 'Wi-Fi nation' - Sep 04, 2012
- Google, O-Zone tie up to provide free Wi-Fi access - Jan 12, 2012
- Shanghai buses to have Wi-Fi - Jul 10, 2012
- Apple's new iPad hits Japanese market - Mar 16, 2012
- Wi-fi in homes can be hacked in five seconds - Oct 15, 2010
- Free online service for two hours in Shanghai - Sep 15, 2010
- UN support: India to seek Pacific island nations' support - Aug 28, 2012
- Study reveals that using Wi-Fi on a laptop 'damages sperm' - Nov 30, 2011
- Google cleared of spying in New Zealand - Sep 02, 2010
- Air China to offer in-flight WiFi - Nov 12, 2011
- Chinese warned against using web in public places - Mar 01, 2012
- Wi-Fi radiation killing trees - Nov 24, 2010
- Shanghai mulls free Wi-Fi service - Jul 25, 2012
- AirTran Airways and Delta to offer free Wi-Fi during holiday season - Nov 09, 2010
- O-Zone to open 40,000 wireless internet zones - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,