Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead)July 18th, 2012 - 12:05 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) Vishal Yadav, convicted in the 2002 Nitish Katara murder case, Tuesday told the Delhi High Court that prosecution witness Ajay Katara should be prosecuted for perjury for speaking falsehood before the court.
The court was hearing appeals of Vishal Yadav, his cousin Vikas Yadav, son of former MP D.P. Yadav, and hired killer Sukhdev Pehalwan, who are serving life terms in Tihar.
Vishal was convicted in 2008 along with Vikas for kidnapping and murdering Nitish Katara, a close friend of Vikas’ sister Bharti.
The duo killed Nitish Katara, son of an Indian Administrative Service officer, on the night of Feb 17, 2002, after abducting him from a marriage party in Uttar Pradesh’s Ghaziabad as they were opposed to his relationship with Bharti.
Senior advocate Ram Jethmalani, appearing for Vishal Yadav, told a division bench of Justice Gita Mittal and Justice J.R. Midha: “He (Ajay Katara) should be tried for perjury as the story given by him before the trial court is wholly false.”
Jethmalani referred to the testimony of witness Ajay Katara and asked the court to reject the theory that he had seen the victim (Nitish Katara) in the company of Vikas and Vishal Feb 16-17, 2002.
Questioning Ajay Katara’s statement that he had seen Nitish Katara sitting with Vishal in a car that Vikas was driving before the murder, he added: “The court should demolish his story because it does not speak truth. It creates serious doubts.”
In his testimony Ajay Katara had said that Feb 16, 2002, night he was returning from Ghaziabad to his home in Delhi when his scooter had broken down and he was looking for some help before Vikas came that way.
Ajay Katara claimed that Vikas had asked him to remove his scooter from the road and also used uncivilised language.
He added that while taking down Vikas’ car number he had seen Nitish Katara in a red kurta, who was sitting with Vishal.
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict - Jul 17, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Verdict on third accused Wednesday - Jul 05, 2011
- Give death to Nitish Katara killers, police tell court - Aug 28, 2012
- Sukhdev Pehalwan gets life term for Nitish Katara murder (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Third accused held guilty - Jul 06, 2011
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict - Jan 20, 2012
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Arguments on punishment July 12 - Jul 07, 2011
- Court orders medical inspection of Nitish Katara killers - Feb 02, 2012
- Vikas Yadav wants four days leave from jail - Nov 09, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records - Feb 01, 2012
- Katara murder case: Delhi HC allows Vikas to attend brother's wedding - Apr 26, 2011
- Vikas Yadav gets one day's leave from jail (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Katara murder: Court sets up panel to probe convicts' hospital visits - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: administrative service officer, car number, convict, d p yadav, delhi high court, division bench, falsehood, gita, indian administrative service, kurta, marriage party, mittal, murder witness, nitish katara murder, nitish katara murder case, perjury, prosecution witness, ram jethmalani, trial court, uttar pradesh