Nitish Katara’ mother demands death for the killersJuly 1st, 2008 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 1 (IANS) Neelam Katara Tuesday moved the Delhi High Court demanding death penalty for influential Uttar Pradesh politician D.P. Yadav’s son Vikas Yadav and nephew Vishal Yadav who were convicted of killing her son Nitish Katara six years ago. The trial court on May 30 awarded life imprisonment to the two cousins for bludgeoning Katara to death and burning his body. They have also been slapped a fine of Rs.160,000 each.
Challenging the quantum of sentence, Neelam Katara through her counsel Kaushik De stated that the convicts need not be given any leniency as the murder was committed in a gruesome manner and they showed disrespect to the dead body.
The lawyer also cited the criminal records of the two in the petition, which is expected to come up for hearing Wednesday.
Nitish, son of a senior Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, was kidnapped and murdered after he attended a wedding in Ghaziabad Feb 16, 2002. His body was found in a village in Bulandshahar in Uttar Pradesh.
The cousins, Vikas and Vishal, resented Nitish’s alleged relationship with D.P. Yadav’s daughter Bharati.
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records - Feb 01, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict - Jul 17, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Court orders medical inspection of Nitish Katara killers - Feb 02, 2012
- Vikas Yadav wants four days leave from jail - Nov 09, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Third accused held guilty - Jul 06, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Vishal to pay Rs.16 lakh for security - Mar 16, 2012
- Give death to Nitish Katara killers, police tell court - Aug 28, 2012
- Court orders medical check of Nitish Katara killers (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Sukhdev Pehalwan gets life term for Nitish Katara murder (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Life sentence means freedom in India: Neelam Katara - Oct 06, 2010
- Katara murder: Court sets up panel to probe convicts' hospital visits - Mar 23, 2012
- Vikas Yadav gets one day's leave from jail (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Verdict on third accused Wednesday - Jul 05, 2011