Nirupama Rao named India’s next ambassador to USJuly 16th, 2011 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) Days before India and the US hold their second strategic dialogue, the government Saturday formally announced the appointment of Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao as its next ambassador to the United States.
Vishnu Prakash, the spokesperson of the external affairs ministry, tweeted Rao’s appointment as India’s next envoy to Washington on the social networking site.
Minutes later, the external affairs ministry formally announced her appointment, saying she is expected to take up her assignment shortly.
Rao’s appointment was cleared by the government a few weeks ago. Her tenure as foreign secretary ends July 31.
Rao will succeed Meera Shankar to become India’s second woman ambassador to the US.
Rao, a former ambassador to China and Sri Lanka, was appointed India’s foreign secretary Aug 1, 2009, becoming the second Indian woman to head the Indian Foreign Service after Chokila Iyer.
- Foreign Secretary to get seven month extension - Oct 20, 2010
- Foreign secretary gets extension till July 2011 - Dec 01, 2010
- Ranjan Mathai to be new foreign secretary (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Ranjan Mathai named India's new foreign secretary (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Nirupama Rao is India's new foreign secretary - Aug 01, 2009
- Rakesh Sood India's new envoy to France - Jul 29, 2011
- Nirupama Rao takes charge as foreign secretary Saturday - Jul 31, 2009
- Nirupama Rao to be next envoy to US (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Nirupama Rao appointed as the new Foreign Secretary - Jun 30, 2009
- Nirupama Rao becomes India's foreign secretary (Lead) - Aug 01, 2009
- Nirupama Rao is second woman to become India's foreign secretary (Lead) - Jun 30, 2009
- Ranjan Mathai is new foreign secretary - Jun 27, 2011
- US condemns blasts, offers support - Jul 14, 2011
- Syed Akbaruddin is new spokesperson of India's Foreign Office (Lead) - Dec 07, 2011
- Nirupama Rao to take over as new Foreign Secretary on Aug. 1 - Jul 31, 2009
Tags: appointment, china, dialogue, external affairs ministry, India, indian foreign service, indian woman, iyer, New Delhi, shankar, social networking site, spokesperson, sri lanka, tenure, vishnu, woman ambassador