Nirmal Verma named Indian Navy chiefJune 6th, 2009 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 6 (IANS) Vice Admiral Nirmal Kumar Verma, the chief of the Eastern Naval Command, will be the next Indian Navy chief, it was announced here Saturday.
He will take over from incumbent Admiral Sureesh Mehta, who retires August 31.
Verma was commissioned July 1, 1970 into the Executive Branch of the navy. During his long and distinguished service, he has served in a variety of command, staff and instructional appointments.
His sea command includes Leander class frigate INS Udaigiri, guided missile destroyer INS Ranvir and the aircraft carrier INS Viraat.
Before taking over as Eastern Naval Command chief he was the vice chief of naval staff.
Verma is an alumnus of the Royal Naval Staff College and the US Naval War College. He has instructional experience at the National Defence College as senior directing staff and at the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington. He also commanded the Naval Academy at Goa.
Verma is a recipient of the Param Vishisht Seva Medal (PVSM) and Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) for his distinguished service.
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Vice Admiral Nirmal Verma takes over as new Navy Chief - Aug 31, 2009
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Vice Admiral Verma to be next Navy Chief - Jun 06, 2009
- Admiral Joshi is new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Navy, Army vice chiefs to get highest service medal - Jan 25, 2011
- Former air force chief Lafontaine is dead - Apr 06, 2011
- President Patil confers gallantry, distinguished service awards - Apr 18, 2011
- Vice Admiral Sinha takes over as IDS chief - Jul 04, 2011
- NDA Commandant conferred Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (With image) - Apr 19, 2012
- 3 Kirti Chakras among defence medals conferred by president - Apr 19, 2011
- Former Indian Navy chief Adm. Dawson dies - Oct 24, 2011
- Navy chief takes over as tri-services panel head - Jul 29, 2011
- IAF pilots to get Shaurya Chakra, three Vayu Sena Medals - Jan 25, 2011
- Lt Gen Kakria is armed forces medical services chief - Jun 01, 2011
Tags: aircraft carrier, command chief, command staff, defence services, distinguished service, frigate, guided missile destroyer, indian navy, instructional experience, national defence college, naval academy, naval command, naval staff college, naval war college, navy chief, services staff, seva, us naval war college, vice admiral, vice chief