Nine-year-old enthroned as reincarnation of Buddhist monkApril 6th, 2009 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, April 6 (IANS) Tulku Tsenyi Khentrul Tenzin Tseten Rinpoche, a nine-year-old boy, was Monday enthroned as the reincarnation of Geshe Lobsang Gyatso, the founder of the Institute of Buddhist Dialectics (IBD).
The coronation ceremony took place in this north Indian hill town.
“Tenzin Tseten, who was recognised by His Holiness (the Dalai Lama) as the reincarnation of Lobsang Gyatso in 2006, was enthroned at a ceremony in accordance with Buddhist belief of rebirth,” Kelsang Damdul, assistant director of the IBD, told IANS.
Tenzin Tseten, who hails from Leh in Jammu and Kashmir, was born May 14, 2001.
He was brought here from Leh Sunday for the coronation ceremony.
Lobsang Gyatso, 70, was murdered along with his two disciples in February 1997. He was a close confidant of the Dalai Lama.
“We came to know about five years ago that a boy in a remote village in Leh knows about his past life. Our interaction with the boy affirms our belief that the slain monk has been reborn,” Damdul said.
A large number of officials of the Tibetan government-in-exile and representatives of various monasteries attended the coronation ceremony at Tsuglagkhang, the main temple at McLeodgang near here.
The Dalai Lama along with many of his supporters fled Tibet and took refuge in this hill station in 1959.
His government-in-exile, which is headquartered here, is not recognised by any country.
- Will decide on successor when I am 90: Dalai Lama - Sep 24, 2011
- Reincarnation is my personal right: Dalai Lama - Sep 23, 2011
- Dalai Lama to speak of happiness at Penguin Lecture - Dec 02, 2011
- Dalai Lama has thrown a gauntlet to Beijing (Comment) - Mar 13, 2011
- Mahatma's grandson to attend Dalai Lama's birthday bash - Jul 04, 2011
- Dalai Lama reverses 350-year-old tradition - May 30, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- World's most celebrated monk turns 75 Tuesday - Jul 04, 2010
- Boy monk gets ceremonial welcome in Spiti - Sep 14, 2011
- Lifetime achievement award for Tibetan opera artist - Oct 16, 2011
- Prayers, sapling plantations mark Dalai Lama's birthday - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama's message read in Tibetan parliament-in-exile - Mar 14, 2011
- Dalai Lama will live to be 113 - Jul 06, 2011
- Have gone through turbulence all my life: Dalai Lama - Dec 03, 2011
- Who will lead the Tibetan cause after Dalai Lama? - Mar 19, 2011