Nine workers killed as stadium part collapses in Tamil NaduAugust 6th, 2012 - 11:52 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 6 (IANS) At least nine people were killed and three injured when a portion of an indoor stadium under construction at a private educational institution collapsed Monday evening in Tamil Nadu, said police.
The accident took place in Kunnam village in Kanchipuram district.
“Nine men have lost their lives and three have been injured in the building collapse at Jeepiar Institute of Technology in Kunnam village. We are in the process of identifying the dead. The labourers are from north India. Fellow labourers are in the process of identifying the dead in the hospital at Sriperumbudur,” a police official told IANS.
According to him, around 20 labourers were working at the construction site when a portion of the stadium collapsed.
He said district administration officials have gone to the accident site to supervise the rescue operations.
Institute officials were not available for comments when contacted.
- Six injured in Uttar Pradesh building collapse - Dec 29, 2010
- Foot overbridge caves in near Nehru Stadium, 23 hurt (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- Five killed in Chhattisgarh power plant accident - Jul 21, 2012
- Two killed, 37 injured in Kashmir road accident - May 16, 2012
- Mumbai Metro accident: One killed, 11 injured (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Two killed in Delhi wall collapse - Jun 27, 2012
- Three women labourers buried alive - Apr 19, 2011
- Himachal building collapse: Owner, builder held (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Three killed in Delhi building collapse (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 17, 2011
- Labourer killed at Jaipur Metro construction site - Mar 04, 2012
- 29 pilgrims killed in Haryana accident (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- 3 labourers killed in wall collapse - Mar 31, 2011
- Two die in Delhi wall collapse - Sep 21, 2011
- Four dead in Beijing house collapse - May 05, 2012
- Two government officials shot dead in Bihar - Mar 02, 2012