Nine US soldiers killed in IraqSeptember 18th, 2008 - 3:19 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Sep 18 (DPA) Seven US soldiers were killed when their helicopter crashed west of the southern Iraqi city of Basra, the US army said Thursday.The Chinook helicopter, which had been en route from Kuwait to the military base in Balad north of Baghdad, had not come under fire and the crash appeared to have been an accident, the army said in a statement also correcting an initial death toll of five. Iraq media also reported the crash.
The military also reported that another two US soldiers were shot near a base in Iskandariyah south of Baghdad last Sunday. They were believed to have been killed by a US soldier who had been arrested, the army said without giving further details.
In a separate incidence, the Iraqi news agency Aswat al-Iraq reported that the bodies of two men were found near the southern city of Naziriyah. The men died when the bomb they tried to place near a road block blew up early, the report said.
In Mosul, 400 kM north of Baghdad, an adviser to the governor of Ninive province was shot as he left a mosque Wednesday night, the news wire reported.
- Iraqi-US forces arrest four suspected Al Qaeda men - Aug 28, 2010
- Six, including medic, killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 11, 2010
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq violence - Jul 19, 2011
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- Iraqis demand end to American occupation - Apr 10, 2011
- Iraqi army officer killed in car bombing - Jan 23, 2010
- Tens of thousands protest in Baghdad to demand U.S. troops to leave - May 27, 2011
- Four killed in Iraq attacks - Sep 02, 2010
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- Eight killed, 33 hurt in Iraq attacks (Night Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- 27 killed, 71 hurt in Iraq attacks - May 22, 2010
- Thousands of Iraqis protest against foreign intervention - Sep 17, 2011
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011