Nine policemen killed in Orissa landmine blastJune 18th, 2009 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 18 (IANS) At least nine policemen were killed after their vehicle was blasted by Maoists in Orissa’s Koraput district Thursday, police said.
The rebels triggered the landmine blast when the vehicle was passing through a forested area under Narayanpatna block, they said.
The victims include eight personnel of the Orissa Special Security Force (OSSF) and a police driver, deputy inspector general of police Sanjeeb Kumar Panda told IANS.
All of them died on the spot and the vehicle was damaged.
“A police team has reached the spot and retrieved the bodies. They reached the spot several hours after the incident because the rebels attacked them when they were on their way. There was also an exchange of fire,” Panda said.
Koraput, some 500 km from here, is considered a Maoist stronghold. Earlier this week, Maoist supporters under the banner of the Chasi Mulia Sangha occupied hundreds of acres of farm land of non-tribal people in the region and hoisted red flags on the land.
Hundreds of non-tribals have fled from their homes as the supporters of the ultras have unleashed a reign of terror in the area, police said.
- Maoists trigger blast in Orissa - Jun 18, 2009
- Two killed as police open fire at tribal mob in Orissa (Lead) - Nov 20, 2009
- Orissa district tense after man dies in clash - Sep 08, 2009
- Logged trees block roads, villages remain cut off in Orissa - Jun 23, 2009
- Displaced Orissa villagers get to meet Patnaik (Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Unable to meet Patnaik, displaced villagers attempt suicide - Oct 05, 2010
- Force deployed in Orissa town after violence - Nov 21, 2009
- Orissa tribal leader held for Maoist links - Jan 28, 2010
- Tribals call 12-hour shutdown in south Orissa - Nov 28, 2009
- Orissa police clears Maoist road-blockades - Jun 28, 2009
- Ten more arrested in Orissa (Lead) - Nov 23, 2009
- Maoist kill schoolteacher in Orissa village - Aug 16, 2010
- Arrests in Maoist violence rises to 72 - Dec 02, 2009
- Government distributes forestland amongst tribals in Orissa - Oct 11, 2009
- Orissa announces reward for capturing wanted tribal leader - Dec 05, 2009