Nine perish as two IAF choppers collide (Second Lead)August 30th, 2012 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad/New Delhi, Aug 30 (IANS) Nine defence personnel, including five officers, were killed Thursday when two Indian Air Force (IAF) helicopters collided mid-air near Jamnagar in Gujarat, an official said.
The collision at the Sarmat range near Jamnagar, about 275 km from Ahmedabad, took place at 12.05 p.m. while two Russian-origin Mi-17 cargo choppers of the air force were on a training mission shortly after taking off from the Jamnagar airbase.
“Two Mi-17 IAF helicopters crashed near Sarmat range in Gujarat Aug 30 at about 12.05 p.m. The helicopters had taken off from Jamnagar airbase and were on a routine flying training mission. There were nine personnel on board and all succumbed to injuries,” IAF spokesperson Wing Commander Gerard Galway said in a statement in New Delhi.
“An inquiry has been ordered to investigate the cause of the accident,” he said.
On board the ill-fated choppers were five officers and four men of other ranks, sources said.
However, the names of the deceased are being withheld till the next of kin are informed.
The choppers, according to information reaching New Delhi, were flying close to each other when their rotor blades came in contact, causing the accident.
The training mission involved flying at such proximity, said IAF officers.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony expressed deep sorrow at the incident and conveyed condolences to the bereaved families in a statement.
- Nine IAF men killed as two choppers collide (Third Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Eight killed as two IAF choppers collide (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Antony expresses grief over Arunachal crash - Nov 19, 2010
- Asaram Bapu survives chopper crash, probe ordered - Aug 29, 2012
- Citing domestic duties, India withdraws choppers from UN Congo mission - Oct 14, 2011
- Search for MiG-29 wreckage, pilot on: IAF - Oct 20, 2011
- Army loses two pilots in Nashik chopper crash (Second lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Two army pilots killed as chopper crashes in Nashik locality (Lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Antony contradicts air force chief on plane crashes - Dec 12, 2011
- Two-member team starts probe into chopper crash - Apr 20, 2011
- Four years, 33 combat plane crashes, 27 MIGs lost - Mar 19, 2012
- Eight die in Guatemala helicopter crash - Feb 29, 2012
- Technical snag cuts short indigenous chopper's flight - Feb 10, 2011
- IAF to induct latest Russian military choppers Feb 17 - Feb 06, 2012
- IAF combat planes set capital's skies ablaze - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: antony, bereaved families, condolences, deep sorrow, defence minister, four men, galway, gujarat, helicopters, iaf, indian air force, jamnagar, New Delhi, proximity, rotor blades, russian origin, spokesperson, wing commander