Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havocAugust 24th, 2011 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Aug 24 (IANS) Flash floods triggered by heavy rains continue to wreak havoc in Assam, with an estimated 900,000 people displaced and nine dead so far, officials said Wednesday.
A government bulletin said 12 of the 27 districts of Assam have been affected by floods, the eastern districts of Dhemaji and Lakhimpur being the worst affected.
“So far, 9,11,080 people have been affected by the floods in 12 districts and 43 embankments breached,” the government statement said.
At least nine people have been swept away by the floods in the past one week, seven of them in Dhemaji district.
A Central Water Commission bulletin said the Brahmaputra river and its tributaries were flowing above the danger mark in at least eight places.
An estimated 250,000 people are now displaced in Lakhimpur and Dhemaji, about 400 km east of Assam’s main city of Guwahati.
“Most of the flood-hit people are now taking shelter on raised platforms, railway tracks, and in government schools and offices,” a government spokesperson said.
Torrents of flood waters have breached at least four vital mud embankments in eastern Assam, besides snapping road links. National Highway 52 in eastern Assam has been severely affected.
A vast stretch of the Kaziranga National Park has come under water, forcing forest guards to move out of the sanctuary and making animals run for safety.
“We are taking all possible measures to mitigate the woes of the flood-affected people,” Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi told IANS.
- Flood alert in Assam, 75,000 displaced - Jul 19, 2011
- Assam flood situation worsens, toll rises to 18 - Jun 28, 2012
- Brahmaputra crosses danger mark, Assam flood situation critical - Sep 14, 2010
- Two drown, 150,000 people hit in Assam floods - Apr 24, 2010
- Thousands displaced in Assam flash floods - Aug 15, 2011
- Assam floods: Death toll reaches 100, 16 missing - Jul 05, 2012
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- Five killed, 4,000 houses flattened in Assam thunderstorm (Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
- Assam storm kills two, damages 1,500 homes - Apr 25, 2010
- Heavy rains in Arunachal cause floods in two Assam districts - Sep 14, 2012
- Floods affect over 30,000 in Assam - Jun 12, 2012
- Floods wreak havoc in Assam, 200,000 displaced - Jul 03, 2009
- Over 1.5 lakh people affected as flood situation worsens in Assam - Apr 25, 2010
- KMSS to launch stir over non-repair of embankments - Jul 20, 2012
- One killed, thousands displaced in Assam floods - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: assam, brahmaputra river, central water, chief minister, danger mark, embankments, flash floods, flood havoc, flood waters, forest guards, gogoi, government bulletin, government spokesperson, government statement, heavy rains, highway 52, kaziranga national park, lakh, tarun, water commission