Nine killed in Chhattisgarh road accidentFebruary 12th, 2009 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Feb 12 (IANS) As many as nine people, including two children, were killed Thursday when the van they were travelling in fell into a canal in Chhattisgarh, police said.
The incident took place in Korba district’s Sonpuri village, some 225 km north of here.
The superintendent of police of Korba district, Ratanlal Dangi said the driver lost control when a cyclist came in front of the vehicle.
“In a bid to save the cyclist, the driver lost control and the vehicle fell into a canal killing nine out of the total 18 people who were in the vehicle,” Dangi told IANS.
He added that the driver and two others managed to swim across. Six injured are admitted to a private hospital.
- After attack, Chhattisgarh hunts for Maoists - Oct 22, 2011
- 3 Chinese engineers arrested in Chhattisgarh, hospitalised - Jan 12, 2010
- Maoists kill six cops in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Maoists blow up bridge on key national highway - Dec 06, 2011
- Balco officials sent to judicial custody (Lead) - Nov 17, 2009
- 3 arrested Chinese engineers hospitalised in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jan 12, 2010
- Three Chinese engineers arrested in Balco chimney crash case - Jan 12, 2010
- 15 killed at Balco's under-construction plant (Lead) - Sep 23, 2009
- Balco vice president arrested for power plant tragedy - Nov 17, 2009
- Six troopers among seven killed by Chhattisgarh Maoists - May 14, 2012
- Construction firm official arrested in Balco accident (Lead) - Oct 07, 2009
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Nine die in Maharashtra accident - Jun 19, 2012
- 12 children killed as bus falls in canal - Mar 20, 2012
- 15 workers killed, 50 trapped in Chhattisgarh plant, probe ordered (Second Lead) - Sep 23, 2009