Nine killed in car bomb attacks in western Iraq

December 4th, 2008 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS  

Fallujah (Iraq), Dec 4 (Xinhua) At least nine people were killed and 15 others injured Thursday in two separate suicide car bomb attacks in Iraq’s western province of Anbar, the police said.In one of the attacks, a suicide bomber blew up his explosives laden car outside the al-Hedheiri police station in central Fallujah city. The powerful blast destroyed a school and several houses nearby, a police official said.

In the second incident, another car packed with explosives was detonated near the al-Tawheed police station in Jolan neighbourhood in northern part of the city.

“Initial reports said that at least nine people were killed and more than 15 injured in the two attacks,” the official said requesting anonymity, adding that the toll could rise as many people are still trapped under the debris of the demolished houses caused by the blasts.

Rescue officials are still trying to save dozens of women and children trapped under the debris, he added.

Meanwhile, the authorities have imposed a curfew in the areas and blocked all the entrances to the city.

Earlier in September, Iraqi officials had taken over the control of the Anbar province from the US troops after situation there normalised.

The Anbar province is the country’s largest state and has been relatively calm after Sunni tribes there stood up against the Al Qaeda network in Iraq a year ago.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |