Nine killed, 200 injured in dust storm in UPApril 12th, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 12 (IANS) Nine people were killed and more than 200 injured when a severe dust storm hit many parts of Uttar Pradesh late Wednesday, police said.
According to information collected by the state government, the storm was at its deadliest in Jalaun district, about 130 km from here, where nine people were killed in different incidents.
Police said the storm forced several trains to a halt. Many houses collapsed, and power and telephone poles were uprooted.
Standing crop worth crores of rupees has been damaged, an official told IANS Thursday.
A high velocity storm hit the Jalaun area around midnight and continued for more than two hours, following which all traffic movement on roads and train services were stopped near Orai, about 190 km from here, till the storm passed.
Telecom services in and around the district have been affected.
- Storms claim 56 lives in India - May 20, 2011
- Cyclonic storm kills nine people in Bihar - May 21, 2011
- 15 dead as dust storms lash Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Dark new year for cyclone-hit Tamil Nadu districts - Jan 01, 2012
- Heat wave kills 16 in UP - Jun 18, 2012
- Six police recruits run over by train in Uttar Pradesh - May 20, 2011
- Rooftop train travel kills five - Sep 25, 2011
- Storm Laila wreaks havoc in Andhra, heads to Orissa (Roundup) - May 20, 2010
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Dust storms kill 10 in Pakistan - Jun 06, 2012
- High-velocity winds, rain damage wheat crop - Apr 12, 2012
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- 46 die in road accidents across 3 states (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- 87 killed as powerful storm hits West Bengal, Bihar (Intro Roundup) - Apr 14, 2010
- 15 killed in Tamil Nadu train collision: Police - Sep 14, 2011