Nine injured in violence in Haryana’s Hisar (Lead)June 14th, 2011 - 1:06 am ICT by IANS
Hisar (Haryana), June 13 (IANS) At least nine people, including four policemen, were injured in a clash between protestors, including Dalits, and police personnel Monday, police said.
Following this, police arrested 12 people, including Ved Pal Tanwar, president of the Non-Jat Association (NJA) for breaching ban on any assembly of five or more people at the mini-secretariat complex here, an official said.
Led by Tanwar, the protestors, also including dozens of Dalits, were staging a protest outside the mini-secretariat complex. The protestors, who were agitating against local police for their intolerant attitude towards them, also included many women.
Hisar Deputy Commissioner Amit Kumar Aggarwal told IANS that Tanwar and other protesters broke barricades, pelted stones and clashed with the police at the mini-secretariat complex here, 300 km from Chandigarh.
He said that one woman was injured in the incident and was taken to a nearby government hospital for treatment.
He said that orders under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) have been imposed near the mini-secretariat complex to prevent people from gathering there for a meeting called by Tanwar in support of non-Jats.
“The agitators were instigated by Tanwar and others to resort to violence against the police and to violate prohibitory orders. We had no option but to take action against them after they started the violence. Around nine people, including four police officials, have been injured in this clash,” Aggarwal said.
Tanwar earlier rallied in support of last year’s victims of the Mirchpur village violence in which houses of Dalit community members were set ablaze by the dominant Jat community members.
A 70-year-old man and his 18-year-old physically-challenged daughter were burnt alive in the fire and at least 18 houses were destroyed in the attack by dominant Jat community members.
- 12 arrested following violence in Haryana town - Jun 13, 2011
- Woman injured in clash with police dies in hospital - Jun 22, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Dalits leave village fearing Jat threat - Jan 27, 2011
- Mirchpur incident: Jats to call off protest - Jan 26, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jat protest enters 11th day - Jan 25, 2011
- Mirchpur incident: Jats call off protest (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Army called as Jat agitators torch police station (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Mirchpur violence: Apex court tells Haryana to rein in protesters (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jats demand SIT probe; blockade disrupts traffic (Lead) - Jan 23, 2011
- Court notice to 82 acquitted in Mirchpur Dalit killing - Feb 24, 2012
- With agitation over, Jind district returns to normalcy - Jan 27, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jat protest enters 10th day - Jan 24, 2011
- Jats to step up stir, government warns of stern action (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Feb 20, 2012
- Mirchpur violence: Jats continue protest for fifth day - Jan 19, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jats demand SIT probe - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: aggarwal, agitators, amit kumar, barricades, chandigarh, clash, community members, crpc, dalits, deputy commissioner, government hospital, haryana, jat, jats, nja, police officials, policemen, protesters, protestors, secretariat