Nine injured in police-villagers clash in central AssamFebruary 26th, 2012 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Feb 26 (IANS) At least nine people, including four policemen, were injured in central Assam’s Karbi Anglong district Sunday after a clash between police and villagers.
“We had detained three people from a village near the Deothar police station on Saturday night regarding a case registered at the police station. However, they were released Sunday morning,” police said adding that after their release, they went back to the village and came back with more men to attack the police station.
“The situation turned worse when the group attacked the policemen and two of them were seriously injured,” police said adding that they had to resort to firing to control the mob.
“Four policemen and five villagers were injured during the incident,” police said adding that all the injured have been shifted to Jorhat Civil Hosiital in Jorhat.
Karbi Anglong is located about 280 kms away from Assam’s main city Guwahati. Deothar is a remote area in the district.
- Three troopers killed in ambush in Assam - Apr 02, 2011
- 4 Kuki militants nabbed with arms in Assam - Sep 13, 2012
- Seven abducted from power plant in Assam - Jun 10, 2012
- Karbi militants behind forest officials' abduction: Minister - Mar 05, 2012
- Security forces to launch operation against Karbi rebels soon - Apr 27, 2012
- Abducted forest officials still untraced - Mar 04, 2012
- Top Karbi militant, cadres killed in Assam - Apr 20, 2012
- Three Karbi militants killed in Assam - Jun 20, 2012
- Four CRPF personnel killed in Assam encounter - Apr 02, 2011
- Abducted Assam officials released - Mar 06, 2012
- Human-elephant conflict on the rise in Assam - May 17, 2012
- Karbi militant chief believed killed - May 07, 2012
- Ex-Karbi militant arrested in Assam with arms - Apr 05, 2012
- Fire damages British-era building in Assam - Jun 10, 2012
- Nagaland government appeals for calling off blockade - Aug 21, 2012