Nine hospitalized after eating wild mushrooms

June 18th, 2009 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS  

Panaji, June 18 (IANS) Nine people, including seven children were admitted to a government hospital in Margao after they ate poisonous wild mushrooms, health officials said Thursday.
Dr. Rueven De Sa at the Hospicio Hospital in Margao told IANS that four patients had been discharged Thursday, but the remaining were still under observation.

“They had yesterday (Wednesday) eaten cooked wild mushroom broth which prima facie appear to be poisonous. Emergency services picked them up and admitted them to the hospital after concerned neighbours saw them vomiting and in distress,” De Sa said, adding that the patients were from Nuvem, a village adjoining the south district headquarters of Margao.

Wild mushrooms popularly known as alami are a rage in Goa. They bloom in forest patches after the preliminary monsoon showers.

Although plucking wild mushrooms is banned under the Indian Forest Act, people continue to do so as they fetch a hefty price at the local markets.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |