Nine held in Italy for links with Turkish HezbollahFebruary 22nd, 2012 - 8:35 am ICT by IANS
Rome, Feb 22 (IANS) Nine people have been arrested in Italy for alleged links with Sunni Islamic militant group Turkish Hezbollah and for running an illegal immigration ring, media reports said.
Citing the ANSA news agency, Xinhua said the suspects were arrested in Terni city. They reportedly helped Palestinian and Kurdish migrants reach Italy illegally.
The suspects provided the migrants counterfeit documents after telling local authorities false stories of torture in their country of origin, on the basis of which they sought political asylum and a residence permit, the report said.
Turkish Hezbollah, unrelated to the Lebanese Shia Muslim militant group Hezbollah, was founded in Turkey in the 1980s with the goal of establishing a Sunni Muslim society in the country, according to the US National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism.
According to AKI, police launched a probe after a Turkish national — wanted on an international arrest warrant — was held in Italy’s northern Lombardy region.
He revealed the existence in Italy of the Turkish Hezbollah cell.
- Chinese prostitution ring busted in Italy - Jul 05, 2012
- Italian imam held for human trafficking - Jul 18, 2012
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- Boat with Egyptian migrants held in Italy - Jun 13, 2012
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012
- 180 fake paintings seized in Italy - May 04, 2012
- Two human traffickers held in Italy - Apr 23, 2011
- Italian teacher held for giving passing grades for sex - Jun 28, 2012
- Lebanese Shias mourning death of leader Fadlallah (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- 35 suspected members of Calabrian mafia arrested in northern Italy - Mar 14, 2011
- Five migrants found dead in boat near Italy - Mar 17, 2012
- 'Dangerous' mobster held in Italy - Apr 24, 2012
- US imposes sanctions on Hezbollah leaders - Sep 14, 2012
- Al Qaeda claims Baghdad blast - Aug 21, 2010
- Tunisia and Italy agree to curb illegal immigration - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: 1980s, ansa news agency, counterfeit documents, country of origin, existence, hezbollah, illegal immigration, international arrest warrant, islamic militant group, local authorities, migrants, muslim militant group, muslim society, national consortium, political asylum, rome, shia muslim, sunni muslim, torture, xinhua