Nine drug suspects killed by police in BrazilApril 16th, 2008 - 4:08 pm ICT by admin
Rio de Janeiro, April 16 (DPA) At least nine people were killed when a gunbattle erupted during a police drug raid on a Rio de Janeiro slum. The clashes, in which at least seven men were also injured, occurred Tuesday in the Vila Cruzeiro slum in northern Rio, media reports said, citing government authorities.
A police spokesman said all those killed were criminals.
The raid, in which 15 people were arrested and 200 heavily armed officers took part, continued into the night, more than 12 hours after it had begun.
It followed the deaths of 11 suspected criminals early this month in a police raid on drug-trafficking gangs in two Rio slums.
Police deployments in the metropolis’ slums have been criticized by human rights organizations and residents, who said innocent people and children nearly always become targets.
- 37 killed in Brazil slum raids - Dec 05, 2010
- Five killed in Brazil anti-drug operation - Apr 21, 2010
- Beheaded bodies found in Mexico - Dec 25, 2011
- Italian drugs, arms racket busted, 20 held - Jun 16, 2012
- 41 held in Brazil anti-militia operation - Jun 10, 2009
- Brazilian judge assassinated - Aug 13, 2011
- Seedorf double inspires Botafogo - Sep 06, 2012
- Gang war leaves 12 dead in Rio de Janeiro - Oct 18, 2009
- Six die in shootout at Brazil nightclub - Aug 28, 2012
- Police station attacked, cars torched in Brazilian city - Aug 02, 2010
- 1,000 Mexicans held for involvement in sex trade - Jul 25, 2011
- Seven dead in Brazil shootouts - Jan 18, 2010
- Fred on target for Fluminense in Brazilian Serie A - Aug 16, 2012
- First woman joins Mexican navy's special forces - Dec 12, 2011
- 25 die in Brazil accident - Mar 06, 2011