Nine die in Maharashtra accidentJune 19th, 2012 - 4:26 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, June 19 (IANS) Nine pilgrims, including seven women, were killed near here Tuesday when a truck in they were travelling fell into dry river bed, police said.
Six others were injured in the accident that happened on a bridge over Nira river as the driver lost control over the vehicle after ramming into a divider, police officer Gautam Makhare told IANS.
The accident took place some 50 km from Pune city. The devotees were on their way to Pandharpur, a pilgrimage city on the banks of Bhima river in Solapur district.
The Vithoba temple there attracts about half a million Hindus in June and July.
- Lakhs worship at Pandharpur Vithoba temple - Jun 30, 2012
- Two killed in Maharashtra road accident - Aug 13, 2011
- Six pilgrims killed in Maharashtra - Jul 21, 2010
- 13 Pandharpur pilgrims crushed by a speeding truck - Jul 25, 2011
- 30 pilgrims dead in Maharashtra bus accident (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Toll rise to 32 in Maharashtra bus accident (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Pandharpur pilgrimage to be promoted as tourist attraction - Jun 24, 2010
- Five killed in Maharashtra accident - May 24, 2010
- Maharashtra official assaulted by sand mafia - Dec 05, 2011
- Sabarimala pilgrimage begins - Nov 17, 2011
- End manual scavenging, say Mumbai protesters - Jul 16, 2012
- 16 Amarnath devotees killed as truck falls into gorge (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- 30 pilgrims dead in Maharashtra bus accident - Jun 16, 2012
- Five tourists drown in Orissa pool - Jun 11, 2010
- Five pilgrims run over by train in Bihar - Apr 12, 2011