Nine children among 20 dead as jeep falls into Patna drain (Lead)July 15th, 2008 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 15 (IANS) Twenty people, including 10 women and nine children, were killed when the jeep they were travelling in fell into a large drain here early Tuesday, police said. K.K. Singh, officer in charge of Alamganj police station, said the driver lost control of the vehicle and it fell into a drain near the Nalanda Medical College and Hospital around 3 a.m.
The victims were residents of Mahngupur village that falls under Patna district’s Phulwarisharief block, about 20 km from here.
“They were returning to the village after attending a wedding in Patna. They were related to the bride’s family,” Arvind Kumar, a relative of the victims, told IANS.
The search for more victims continued since Arvind Kumar said as many as 25 people might have been travelling in the jeep.
“The road was submerged under a feet of water due to heavy rain. Perhaps the driver failed to notice the adjacent drain in the darkness,” Abdul Sattar, a local resident, said.
- Probe into accident deaths of 20 people in Bihar (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2008
- 20 killed as vehicle falls into drain in Patna - Jul 15, 2008
- Bihar's potatoes to be exported to Russia - Aug 31, 2012
- Driver burnt alive by angry mob in Bihar - Apr 26, 2012
- 17 devotees killed in Punjab accident - May 07, 2012
- Seven electrocuted to death in Jharkhand - Apr 13, 2012
- 18 devotees killed in Punjab accident (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Stones thrown at Nitish Kumar's convoy - Jan 22, 2012
- Woman gangraped and killed, family looted by road robbers - Mar 26, 2012
- Seven killed in collision - Mar 28, 2011
- Evading arrest? The 'dugdugi drive' might catch you - Apr 12, 2011
- 20 schoolkids injured in Rajasthan accident - Jul 26, 2012
- Eight drown in Maharashtra - Dec 16, 2010
- Bihar farmer sets organic wheat production record - Apr 12, 2012
- Bihar to probe how Hasan Ali got passport (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011