Nikkei closes below 8,000 on financial worries (Lead)January 21st, 2009 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Jan 21 (DPA) Japan’s key Nikkei 225 Stock Average fell below 8,000 to end Wednesday trading as the market sentiment was dampened by concerns over the US and European financial sectors.The benchmark Nikkei 225 index lost 164.15 points, or 2.04 percent, to close at 7,901.64.
The broader Topix index of all First Section issues was down 17.88 points, or 2.22 percent, to 787.15.
On currency markets at midday (0300 GMT), the dollar traded at 90.00-05 yen, down from Tuesday’s 5 p.m. quote of 90.41-43 yen.
The euro was quoted at 1.2970-75 dollars, up from late Tuesday’s quote of 1.2945-47 dollars, and at 116.78-83 yen, down from 117.04-08 yen.
- Nikkei falls on financial worries - Jan 21, 2009
- Tokyo stocks mixed in morning trading - Nov 25, 2009
- Nikkei closes at 26-year low on US economic concerns - Mar 10, 2009
- Nikkei closes at 26-year low on economic concerns - Mar 09, 2009
- Nikkei falls nearly 4 percent on Sony's projected loss - Jan 23, 2009
- Nikkei hits four-month low on Wall Street fall - Mar 06, 2009
- Tokyo stocks down on worries about domestic finances, strong yen - Nov 24, 2009
- Tokyo stocks up on bargain buys (Lead) - Nov 25, 2009
- Nikkei loses 4 percent on renewed economic worry - Jan 08, 2009
- Tokyo stocks fall on concerns over US financial sector - Mar 03, 2009
- Nikkei recovers to 9,000 level (Lead) - Nov 04, 2008
- Tokyo stocks end morning lower - Jan 22, 2009
- Tokyo stocks drop over US employment concerns - Dec 05, 2008
- Tokyo market ends higher on hopes of stock-boosting measures - Mar 04, 2009
- Tokyo stocks fall six percent on economic worries (Lead) - Nov 06, 2008