Nihang leader critical after being set on fire (Lead)August 28th, 2008 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar/Chandigarh, Aug 28 (IANS) Controversial Nihang sect chief Ajit Singh Phoola was in a critical condition Thursday with over 60 percent burns after two inmates at the Amritsar central jail set him on fire after an argument.Phoola was rushed to the civil hospital in Amritsar from where he was referred to the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh with critical burn injuries in the afternoon.
Jail officials told IANS that two prisoners, Harcharan Singh and Navtej Singh, procured diesel from the prison generator and poured it on Phoola, who is an under-trial in a murder case, in one of the barracks of the prison in the morning.
They said while one got into an argument, the other prisoner came from behind and poured the diesel on Phoola. They later set him on fire with a match-stick.
Phoola tried to save himself by running to a nearby water tank and jumping into it.
The assailants, both hardcore criminals, were overpowered by jail security and fellow inmates. They have been booked on charges of attempt to murder.
Jail superintendent S.P. Singh said that three security guards have been placed under suspension.
Phoola, who talked to media persons at Amritsar’s civil hospital, said his complaints of threat to his life were ignored resulting in Thursday’s incident.
Phoola has faced charges of murder, rape and rioting and is facing trial in a number of cases.
He was used by the Punjab police officials as an informer during terrorism days in Punjab (1981-95) and used to have armed private bodyguards of fellow Nihangs besides police personnel for his security.
The police are trying to ascertain whether the incident was the outcome of some terrorists, lodged in the same prison, who wanted to take revenge from Phoola for siding with the police during terrorism days in Punjab.
- Sikh sect leader who was set ablaze dies - Aug 29, 2008
- Another inmate attacked inside Amritsar jail - Aug 30, 2008
- Sikh sect chief set on fire in Amritsar jail - Aug 28, 2008
- Punjab jail riot leaves one dead - Nov 21, 2011
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Probe ordered against Punjab jail official - May 07, 2012
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash - Apr 18, 2012
- Jail riot in UP leaves one dead, dozen injured - Mar 11, 2012
- Manhunt launched after 8 escape from Haryana jail - Jan 18, 2012
- 15 inmates injured in Punjab jail rioting - Nov 20, 2011
- Punjab jails crammed 150 percent beyond capacity - Dec 10, 2010
- Tihar undertrial alleges assault, sexual abuse - Jun 17, 2012
- Punjab shutdown affects life but peaceful (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Finally, Amritsar-Chandigarh Duranto train is flagged off - Aug 24, 2011