Nigerian nabbed for duping Mohali manJune 8th, 2008 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 8 (IANS) The cyber crime investigation cell of the Chandigarh police Sunday arrested a Nigerian national named Bright for allegedly duping a Mohali resident in Punjab through an online lottery scam. Balbir Singh had received an e-mail May 11 this year from an e-mail account firstname.lastname@example.org. The sender informed him about winning a sum of 1 million pounds in Britain in an online promotion awards held May 9.
Singh was asked by the sender to give his personal details.
Deputy Superintendent of Police K.I.P. Singh said Bright, 25, asked Singh through the e-mail to deposit some money in an account to claim the award. Through various emails, Singh was asked to deposit Rs.181,000.
After he got nothing, Singh complained to the cyber crime cell of the Chandigarh police.
Singh lured Bright into a trap by offering to pay for his return journey from London to collect more money.
Bright was nabbed by the police after he kept sending messages and made calls to Singh from a Delhi mobile number. He was finally arrested Sunday from the Chandigarh railway station.
Interrogation of the Nigerian revealed that he was based in Delhi and was studying in an engineering college.
- Nigerian held for fraud - Jul 30, 2011
- Student hacks friend's email to deny him admission abroad - Jun 12, 2012
- Two Nigerians among three held for cheating - Jun 03, 2011
- Nigerian held for online lottery fraud - May 07, 2010
- Education department's e-mail hacked, porn sent to schools - Jan 20, 2011
- Sender of Vijayan's 'mansion' e-mail traced to Qatar - Nov 23, 2009
- RBI cautions people against fraudulent e-mails - Jun 30, 2010
- Former principal duped of Rs.23 lakh - May 17, 2010
- Nigerian, 2 others arrested in e-cheating case - Sep 18, 2010
- Indian girl, Nigerian held for lottery fraud - Mar 03, 2011
- Online lottery racket busted, three Nigerians arrested - Jan 29, 2010
- Nasscom sets up cyber lab in Hyderabad - Aug 29, 2010
- Man held for online lottery fraud - Jul 04, 2011
- Supreme Court notice to Gujarat on Bhatt's plea - Nov 11, 2011
- Tripura minister's e-mail hacked - Oct 19, 2010