Nigerian held for fraudJuly 30th, 2011 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) A 25-year-old Nigerian has been arrested here on charges of duping an Indian, police said Saturday.
Nnadi Chjibuzor Nicholas was arrested Friday near the Select City Walk Mall in south Delhi.
According to police, Vishwajeet Biswas, 20, of Govindpuri, received a message from an international mobile number saying he had won a prize of Rs.5.6 crore. He was directed to contact the sender.
“After e-mailing proof of his identification, the victim was informed that a representative would come to India July 11 to hand over the amount,” a police officer said.
Directed by Nicholas, Biswas July 11 deposited Rs.19,500 in an HDFC bank account.
“A few hours later, Nicholas asked Biswas to deposit another Rs.35,000 for obtaining a supposedly anti-terrorist and drug clearance certificate. Biswas did that,” the officer said.
It was a third demand for Rs.190,000 that made Biswas suspicious, and he alerted the police.
Nicholas Friday again contacted his victim to remind him about the money. Biswas asked him to come to the Mall where the Nigerian was arrested.
- Two arrested for cheating - Nov 02, 2011
- Former bank staff held for fraud - Nov 07, 2011
- Gang of fraudsters busted, three arrested from UP - Sep 19, 2012
- Two Nigerians held in Hyderabad for supplying drugs - Oct 23, 2011
- Lottery scam: Five foreigners sent to judicial custody - Jul 17, 2012
- Man held for duping people with fake jobs - Oct 15, 2011
- Nigerian held in capital for cheating - Jun 24, 2011
- Fake job racket, headed by Delhi Police constable, busted - Apr 30, 2012
- Nigerian held for duping engineer of Rs.15 lakh - Nov 16, 2011
- Delhi cop arrested for cheating woman - Jul 30, 2012
- Five held for fake mobile tower offers - Apr 05, 2011
- Nigerian held for online lottery fraud - May 07, 2010
- Hyderabad police crack 'Nigerian fraud', one arrested - Apr 30, 2010
- Three held for hacking bank accounts - Mar 29, 2011
- Nigerian held with drugs - Jun 01, 2011