Nigeria to send astronauts aloft by 2015May 18th, 2012 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Abuja, May 18 (IANS) Nigeria says it will send aloft astronauts by 2015 and launch three satellites.
Minister of Science and Technology Ita Okon Bassey Ewa announced this at a briefing here to commemorate Democracy Day 2012 and the anniversary of President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration. He said the move was part of government’s efforts to boost the economy through space technology.
The minister enumerated the country’s space programme from now to 2028 when it expects to launch a Made-in-Nigeria satellite into space, Xinhua reported.
“In 2015 we are preparing to launch NigeriaSAR-1 satellite. The NigeriaSAR is a security satellite with an acronym that stands for Synthetic Aperture Radar,” he said Thursday.
“This satellite will have a very high resolution that can cover many kilometers, and for a backup, there will be NigeriaSat-2 and NigeriaSat-3,” Ewa said.
“Also because of the experience we gained in Surrey, we are going to build an Assembly Integration and Testing Center for satellite technology. It is ongoing but this year we will put in more efforts to that technology,” he said.
“And before I leave office in 2015 we will send a Nigerian astronaut into space,” he said.
The minister said by 2018 Nigeria would launch a manufactured satellite and in 2025 develop a rocket and propulsion system.
- China hands over geostationary satellite to Nigeria - Mar 20, 2012
- Risat-1 catapults India into a select group of nations (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Tamil Nadu woman behind Thursday's microwave satellite project(Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Tamil Nadu woman behind satellite launch Thursday - Apr 23, 2012
- India's spy satellite to be launched in April - Mar 13, 2012
- New ISRO centre to control spy satellite launch - Apr 09, 2012
- Sri Lanka to launch its first satellite in 2015 - May 25, 2012
- Woman behind Risat-1 feels on top of the world - Apr 26, 2012
- Risat-1 satellite raised to its intended orbit - Apr 28, 2012
- India's remote sensing satellite set for launch - Apr 23, 2012
- Indian remote sensing satellite set for launch (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- China eyeing becoming key player in global commercial satellite market - Oct 21, 2010
- India mulling second rocket port: Space agency chief - Oct 12, 2011
- China to send first woman astronaut into space - Jun 15, 2012
- New satellites to be able to predict earthquakes - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: acronym, astronaut, astronauts, democracy, ewa, goodluck jonathan, high resolution, ita, jonathan, kilometers, nigeria, okon, propulsion system, satellite technology, satellites, science and technology, space technology, surrey, synthetic aperture radar, xinhua