NIFT starts classes in Patna with 60 studentsAugust 12th, 2008 - 3:11 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 12 (IANS) Classes have begun at the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) branch here with 60 students from different parts of the country joining the course, officials said Tuesday. “The formal functioning of the NIFT Patna started on time. The classes began on schedule (Aug 4) after an orientation programme held last month,” said Sanjay Srivastava, academic head of NIFT Patna.
Out of the 60 students, 30 are pursuing a Bachelors of Design in fashion communication. The rest have signed up for a Masters in Fashion Management.
Srivastava said that faculty members from NIFT in New Delhi, Hyderabad and other campuses were teaching the students here.
The institute will operate out of a temporary campus - a Bihar Industrial Area Development Authority building near Gandhi Maidan in the heart of Patna - this year, until it has a campus of its own.
The Bihar government had last week approved the allocation of Rs.586 million for setting up the NIFT building.
“The amount will be spent on the NIFT’s infrastructure, including building and equipment. Of the total amount approved, Rs.270 million will be spent in the current financial year,” an institute official said.
In May this year, the cabinet had approved free-of-cost transfer of 10 acres of land from the agriculture department to the industries department for establishing the NIFT branch, which will be the ninth in the country.
NIFT has branches in Mumbai, New Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad and Kolkata.
- Bihar allocates Rs.586 million for NIFT branch - Aug 06, 2008
- Bihar allocates land for NIFT branch in Patna - May 28, 2008
- NIFT to collaborate with US fashion technology institute - Oct 18, 2011
- DSIIDC to develop NIFT infrastructure in Kangra - Jan 03, 2010
- Bihar opens school in tainted officer's seized house - Sep 08, 2011
- Punjab government allows NIIFT merger with NIFT - Aug 18, 2010
- Coaching for 30 poor IIT aspirants in Maharashtra - Jul 03, 2012
- Bihar cracks whip again, sacks corrupt official - Jan 24, 2012
- Bihar hires young professionals to help implement livelihood project - May 03, 2012
- Land to ISB raises hackles in Punjab - Aug 14, 2010
- Noted Telugu film actor launches film, media institute - Jun 30, 2011
- Rosaiah defends university land for TIFR campus - Oct 18, 2010
- Getting craftspeople connected to mainstream fashion - Jul 11, 2011
- Bihar has Rs.140 bn unutilized central funds - Jan 27, 2012
- Bihar sitting on central funds - Mar 27, 2012