NHRC takes up lynching of truck driver near AgraSeptember 21st, 2011 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 21 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Wednesday said a notice has been issued to the Uttar Pradesh government over a report that a truck driver was beaten to death because he refused to heed extortion demands of its officials.
The commission took suo motu cognizance of a media report alleging that a woman transport officer and her colleagues Sep 14 beat the truck driver to death when he declined to respond to her extortion demands.
“The cleaner of the truck allegedly told police that their truck was stopped by the Uttar Pradesh transport staff at Runakta checkpost in Agra district. The driver, T.Ramarao, produced all relevant documents, but the assistant regional transport officer and her staff demanded Rs.4,000,” the statement said.
“When Ramarao refused to pay the money, the officer and the staff reportedly badly assaulted him. The NHRC has issued a notice to the chief secretary of the state, calling for a factual report within four weeks,” it added.
- Notice to Uttar Pradesh Police for dereliction of duty - Apr 28, 2011
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh over attack on Swami Agnivesh - Mar 30, 2011
- NHRC urged to help woman who tried to end life - Apr 29, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to UP government - Jul 25, 2012
- Rights panel to probe girl's murder in police station - Jun 12, 2011
- Notice to Uttar Pradesh government on medical officer's death - Jun 24, 2011
- UP Police issued notice over woman's death - Apr 30, 2012
- Rights panel pulls up Uttar Pradesh cops - Mar 15, 2011
- Uphold dignity of women, Delhi Police told - Mar 16, 2011
- Child rights panel questions Uttar Pradesh on deaths - Oct 10, 2011
- NHRC notice to home ministry over handling of Maoist bodies - Jun 29, 2010
- Scheme for children under rights panel's lens - Jul 29, 2011
- Jharkhand issued notice on child labour - Apr 06, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to UP over cop thrashing vendor - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: agra, chief secretary, cognizance, colleagues, extortion, factual report, human rights commission, money, national human rights, national human rights commission, New Delhi, nhrc, regional transport, relevant documents, secretary of the state, transport officer, uttar pradesh government