NHRC summons Kerala’s chief secretaryApril 30th, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has summoned Kerala’s chief secretary over the state’s failure to submit the compliance report of compensating people affected from the aerial spray of hazardous pesticide Endosulfan in Kasargod district.
However, if the report is submitted before the commission till June 4, the chief secretary will not be required to report to the commission in person.
“Despite being granted time, the state has not submitted the compliance report till now. The Commission has said that if the requisite report is received on or before June 4, 2012, the chief secretary’s attendance shall stand dispensed with,” said an NHRC official.
On Dec 31, 2010, the commission had recommended to Kerala to pay at least Rs.5 lakh to the next of kin of those dead and to those who were fully bed-ridden/unable to move.
It had also recommended paying Rs.3 lakh to those who had suffered from other disabilities as a result of the pesticide’s spraying.
- Kerala partly complies with NHRC order on endosulphan victims - Jun 11, 2012
- NHRC slams government for opposing ban on endosulfan - Dec 31, 2010
- NHRC chief visits Kerala's pesticide affected areas - Dec 18, 2010
- Sushma Swaraj backs endosulfan ban - Apr 28, 2011
- NHRC to raise issue of harmful effect of pesticide in Kerala (Lead, Changing dateline) - Dec 18, 2010
- Kerala observes shutdown to demand endosulfan ban (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Endosulfan can be phased out early if alternative found: Ramesh - May 03, 2011
- Delhi told to pay damages for Tihar inmate's suicide - Feb 06, 2012
- Endosulfan pesticide affects numerous families in Kerala - May 01, 2011
- Kerala cancels licence to endosulfan factory - May 27, 2011
- Kerala CM Achuthanandan on day-long fast for ban on endosulfan - Apr 25, 2011
- Chandy asks PM for Rs.375 crore endosulfan relief package - May 19, 2011
- NHRC pulls up Assam over witch hunting, custodial deaths - May 28, 2012
- Kerala cuts tax on hiked fuel price - May 18, 2011
- NHRC orders relief to kin of child killed in gate collapse - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: aerial spray, attendance, chief secretary, compliance report, disabilities, endosulfan, failure, human rights commission, lakh, national human rights, national human rights commission, New Delhi, nhrc, pesticide, summons