NHRC seeks report on school shutdown for BJP meetSeptember 6th, 2011 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 6 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has asked the Bihar government for an inquiry into a complaint that a government school was shut down for two days for the ruling Janata Dal-United’s ally Bharatiya Janata Party executive, and minors washed plates at the meet.
The school in Vaishali district was shut to accommodate BJP politicians’ security in the school premises, that too without any official sanction, according to reports here.
The expose has landed the BJP in a major trouble, officials said.
The NHRC Monday issued a notice to the Bihar government for allegedly making minor children serve politicians and wash plates at the BJP’s executive meet, which began Sunday and was attended by the state’s labour minister, according to officials here.
Opposition Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD), Congress and Left party leaders said both incidents have exposed the double face of the BJP’s claims of good governance.
“BJP leaders forced a government school shutdown for two days without official permission. It is a clear cut case of violation, and deprived hundreds of children of their regular classes,” RJD state president Ramchandra Purve said.
The NHRC has asked the state government to submit a report within four weeks.
The commission observed that the allegations contained in the complaint, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of the children.
- Notice to Bihar government on child rights violations - Sep 05, 2011
- Bihar government probe rules out scam in land allotment - Jul 25, 2011
- Opposition attacks Nitish over police firing deaths - Jun 06, 2011
- Opposition blames Nitish for police firing deaths (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Bihar politicians slam Uddhav Thackeray - Sep 04, 2012
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- Graft charges may spell trouble for Nitish Kumar - Apr 12, 2011
- Two-thirds of rights violations in Uttar Pradesh, Delhi - May 06, 2011
- Rabri Devi files nomination papers for Bihar's Raghopur seat - Oct 09, 2010
- Lalu attacks Nitish over Modi handshake (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Under attack, Nitish to probe Bihar land bonanza (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Rights panel handled over 10 lakh cases since 1993 - Oct 12, 2011
- Under attack, Nitish to probe Bihar land bonanza (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Third phase of Bihar polls end with 53 percent voting (Evening Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Clamour for minority quota in Lokpal, Lok Sabha disrupted (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: ally, bihar government, double face, good governance, government school, human rights commission, labour minister, major trouble, national human rights commission, nhrc, party executive, party leaders, purve, ramchandra, rights of the children, sanction, school premises, state government, state president, violation of human rights