NHRC seeks report on Assam violenceAugust 1st, 2012 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Aug 1 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued notice to the Assam chief secretary asking for a detailed report on the recent communal violence in the state.
An NHRC spokesman said it would also send a team to study the arrangements made by the government for the rehabilitation of affected people.
The team would submit a report in four weeks after visiting the violence-hit areas.
NHRC has asked Assam to submit its report within three weeks.
It has also asked the chief secretary to inform about the arrangements made for relief and rehabilitation of the affected people and the financial assistance given to them.
As many as 56 persons were killed in clashes that broke out between Bodos and Bengali-speaking Muslims in Bodoland Territorial Areas District and Dhubri district between July 19 to July 25.
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- Fresh violence rocks Chirang, five killed - Aug 25, 2012
- Situation has improved in Assam: Gogoi - Aug 01, 2012
- Rehabilitate Bengali Muslims only after verification: Bodo groups - Aug 18, 2012
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi to visit Assam's violence-hit areas - Sep 08, 2012
- Chidambaram visits Kokrajhar, Chirang; reviews security - Jul 30, 2012
- PM calls for end to Assam violence, assures proper probe (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- Army moves to seize illegal arms in Kokrajhar - Sep 01, 2012
- Central team visits riot-hit Assam areas, reviews security - Aug 21, 2012
- It's time for healing: PM tells Assam victims (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- PM appeals for peace in Assam, assures proper probe, rehabilitation (Third Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: assam, bengali, bodos, chief secretary, clashes, communal violence, financial assistance, human rights commission, muslims, national human rights, national human rights commission, nhrc, spokesman