NHRC pulls up Haryana Police over gunfight deathsMarch 29th, 2011 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 29 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued a notice to Haryana’s director general of police (DGP) for failing to inform it within 48 hours about a gunfight in which two people were killed, the commission said Tuesday.
Taking suo motu cognisance of a media report, the commission issued a notice to the DGP, the district magistrate and the commissioner of police of Faridabad and sought a magisterial enquiry report, inquest report, post-mortem examination report along with report of independent investigation and explanation for not sending the intimation to the commission about the gunfight.
A media report quoting Superintendent of Police Anil Dhawan said that the crime branch got the information that three criminals were on their way to extort money from a jeweller.
However, when police tried to stop them, the three allegedly tried to run away and opened fire.
The police then retaliated and two of the criminals were killed. The one who escaped is allegedly the younger brother of a notorious criminal involved in the murder of a sub-inspector.
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
- Notice to Uttar Pradesh government on medical officer's death - Jun 24, 2011
- Notice to Bihar government on child rights violations - Sep 05, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Tamil Nadu police on killings - Feb 24, 2012
- Rights panel to probe girl's murder in police station - Jun 12, 2011
- Sewer worker's death: Rights panel probes civic agencies - Aug 11, 2011
- Rights panel pulls up Uttar Pradesh cops - Mar 15, 2011
- Delhi hospital gets notice over radioactive waste - Aug 04, 2011
- NHRC seeks report on fake encounter in Manipur - Aug 30, 2012
- Delhi Police gets notice from rights panel in stripping case - Jun 14, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh rights panel takes up killed doctor's case - Jun 24, 2011
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- Rights panel issues notice for crackdown on Ramdev - Jun 06, 2011
- Rights panel seeks report on Kashmir civilian's killing - Aug 10, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Orissa - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,