NHRC notice to Assam over ethnic violence (Lead)October 14th, 2008 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 14 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), taking suo-motu cognisance of the ethnic clashes in Assam in which over 50 people were killed, has issued a notice to the chief secretary and police chief of Assam, calling for a factual report within four weeks.The commission will also send an investigating team to the northeastern state to probe the violence.
“Taking suo-motu cognisance of media reports over the killings in ethnic clashes in Assam, the NHRC has issued a notice to the chief secretary and the DGP (the director general of police) of Assam asking them for a report within four weeks. If the reports are true then these raise serious issues of human rights violations of the victims,” an NHRC official told IANS.
The official also said that the NHRC team will reach Assam by Oct 21 and will be there till Oct 26. They will go to the affected areas to study the situation in relief camps.
“After they return, they will compile a report over the next two weeks and submit it to the commission,” he said.
The team will probe last week’s clashes between the tribal Bodos and Muslim migrants. Over 2,500 houses were either torched or damaged in the clashes in 54 villages.
- Notice to Bihar government on child rights violations - Sep 05, 2011
- NHRC seeks report on Assam violence - Aug 01, 2012
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
- Delhi hospital gets notice over radioactive waste - Aug 04, 2011
- NHRC takes up lynching of truck driver near Agra - Sep 21, 2011
- NHRC pulls up Haryana Police over gunfight deaths - Mar 29, 2011
- Rights panel to probe girl's murder in police station - Jun 12, 2011
- NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh over attack on Swami Agnivesh - Mar 30, 2011
- Rights panel pulls up Uttar Pradesh cops - Mar 15, 2011
- Why no night shelters for street kids, NHRC asks Delhi - Dec 24, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh government issued notice for trials on Bhopal victims - Aug 09, 2011
- Sewer worker's death: Rights panel probes civic agencies - Aug 11, 2011
- Scheme for children under rights panel's lens - Jul 29, 2011
- Building collapse: NHRC issues notices to Delhi government, MCD - Nov 19, 2010
- Rights panel issues notice for crackdown on Ramdev - Jun 06, 2011