NHRC issues notice to UP governmentJuly 25th, 2012 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 25 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission Wednesday issued notice to the Uttar Pradesh government over a shocking incident in which a 22-year-old Dalit’s leg was amputated after he was beaten and tied to a railway track by some people in Ghaziabad district.
“Taking suo motu cognizance of a media reports, we have issued notice to Uttar Pradesh chief secretary and Ghaziabad district magistrate calling for reports within four weeks,” said an NHRC official.
“The victim Tika Ram had been admitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Delhi where doctors had to amputate his legs and they were not positive about his survival. The media carried report on July 20, 2012,” said an NHRC statement.
The victim Tika Ram was allegedly beaten up by Gujjars over a land dispute which erupted due to the allotment of around one acre of land to 60 Jatavs who belong to the Scheduled Castes category.
“The Gram Pradhan had occupied the land. Restricting movement of Jatavs, he had built a seven-foot-high wall around the land. On March 14, 2012 as well, the Gujjars had beaten up Jatavs severely injuring them in broad day light,” NHRC said.
The commission has further directed the chief secretary and the district magistrate, Ghaziabad to inform what legal action had been taken against the accused involved in the two incidents of attack on Dalits.
It has also asked the commission to state whether the government proposes to grant any compensation to the victim Tika Ram under the provisions of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- NHRC notice on school turning away gangrape victim - Sep 13, 2012
- NHRC takes up lynching of truck driver near Agra - Sep 21, 2011
- Rights panel issues notice to Tamil Nadu - Aug 22, 2012
- Tamil Nadu asked for report on assault on Dalit boy - Jun 17, 2011
- Notice to Uttar Pradesh Police for dereliction of duty - Apr 28, 2011
- Rights panel pulls up Uttar Pradesh cops - Mar 15, 2011
- Compensate woman mistreated by police, NHRC tells Delhi - Mar 22, 2012
- Rights panel to probe girl's murder in police station - Jun 12, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Orissa - Jul 27, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Haryana on child's death - Feb 29, 2012
- NHRC urged to help woman who tried to end life - Apr 29, 2012
- NHRC pulls up Haryana Police over gunfight deaths - Mar 29, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Tamil Nadu - Aug 29, 2012
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: acre of land, aiims delhi, all india institute of medical sciences, allotment, atrocities, castes, chief secretary, cognizance, dalit, dalits, district magistrate, gujjars, human rights commission, india institute, land dispute, national human rights commission, nhrc, railway track, shocking incident, uttar pradesh government