NHRC issues notice to OrissaJuly 27th, 2011 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Wednesday issued a notice to the Orissa government and police for allegedly using a school as camp to fight the villagers opposing land acquisition by the South Korean company Posco.
The NHRC has taken a suo motu cognizance of a media report that the police have occupied a school in Badagabapur village near the plant’s site in Jagatsinghpur.
“The report, if true, raises a serious issue of right to education of children in Orissa and in particular in Jagatsinghpur district near the proposed Posco steel plant site. We have issued notices to the chief secretary and director general of police of Orissa, calling for their reports in the matter within four weeks,” an NHRC statement said.
The media report said the students are scared of going to the school because of the arms stocked by the police in the premises.
Instead of regular teachers, contractual and ill-trained teachers were appointed, the report added.
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Haryana on child's death - Feb 29, 2012
- NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh over attack on Swami Agnivesh - Mar 30, 2011
- Jharkhand issued notice on child labour - Apr 06, 2011
- Uphold dignity of women, Delhi Police told - Mar 16, 2011
- NHRC takes up lynching of truck driver near Agra - Sep 21, 2011
- Scheme for children under rights panel's lens - Jul 29, 2011
- Rights panel notice to Delhi over injured boy - Feb 13, 2012
- Why are children dying of malnutrition, asks rights panel - Dec 27, 2010
- Rights panel to probe girl's murder in police station - Jun 12, 2011
- Notice to Uttar Pradesh Police for dereliction of duty - Apr 28, 2011
- POSCO project: Supporters, protesters hold rival meets - Mar 13, 2011
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
- NHRC sends notice in Soni Sori case - Oct 11, 2011
- Contractor held for Odisha violence over Posco - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: chief secretary, cognizance, director general, education, human rights commission, land acquisition, national human rights, national human rights commission, New Delhi, nhrc, orissa government, posco, posco steel, premises, south korean company, steel plant