NHRC issues notice to Maharashtra over farm suicides (Lead)September 12th, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Sep 12 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Wednesday sought a report from the Maharashtra government on the spate of farmers suicides within six weeks, terming it as “a serious issue”, an activist said here.
The Nagpur-based Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti (VJAS) chief Kishor Tiwari said that the NHRC’s suo moto cognizance has been prompted by media reports of seven farmers committing suicide within 72 hours last week in the state’s Vidarbha region.
“Taking serious note of this, the NHRC has asked the state chief secretary to submit its report (to NHRC) within six weeks since the media reports raised a serious issue of violation of farmers’ rights,” Tiwari told IANS.
He added that Dnyaneshwar Thakray, Pramod Mamankar, Kanikrao Kukade, Vitthal Bhogre, Shyam Sahare, Daulat Kukde, Chakradhar Choudhary were the farmers who had committed suicide within 72 hours.
The VJAS, which has been documenting farmland suicides since over a decade, said that 528 farmers have ended their lives in the region in the first eight months of 2012.
The reasons were damage to cash crops like soya, paddy and cotton because of heavy rains in the area, Tiwari said.
Citing official records, Tiwari said that more than 9,000 dry land farmers resorted to the extreme step owing to crop failure and economic losses since 2005.
He alleged that local politicians and official painted a ‘rosy picture’ to the higher officials and even kept Maharashtra Chief Minister (Prithviraj Chavan) in the dark about the actual ground conditions in the suicide-prone regions.
“Over three million farmers, widows and orphans have been denied food security, health services and other sources of livelihood, forcing them to end their lives,” Tiwari pointed out.
- NHRC issues notice to Maharashtra over farm suicides - Sep 12, 2012
- Six more Vidarbha farmers commit suicides, says NGO - Jul 01, 2012
- Vidharba shutdown Thursday for farmers'demands - Dec 14, 2011
- Vidarbha farmers, widows to 'mourn' decade of BT cotton - Mar 25, 2012
- Five farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 02, 2011
- Vidarbha farmers object to Oscar entry for 'Peepli' - Sep 27, 2010
- Economist Kelkar to meet Vidarbha farmers - Apr 05, 2012
- Four more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2012
- Seven more Vidarbha farmers commit suicide in last 48 hours - Sep 08, 2011
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
Tags: andolan, cash crops, chavan, chief secretary, cognizance, committing suicide, crop failure, daulat, economic losses, extreme step, human rights commission, kishor, land farmers, maharashtra government, national human rights commission, nhrc, prone regions, suo moto, vidarbha region, vjas