NHRC issues notice to Haryana on child’s deathFebruary 29th, 2012 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 29 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued notice to the Haryana government on the death of a child who was allegedly locked up in his school in Kamlea in Karnal district.
Taking a suo motu cognizance of the incident, the commission has issued notice to the Karnal police chief and the principal secretary of the state education department asking them to respond within four weeks.
“According to the media reports, the six-year-old child was locked up in a dark room in the school to reprimand him for his negligence Dec 27, 2011,” an NHRC press release said.
When he did not reach home, the family went to the school and found him unconscious in the room.
Following the incident, the boy stopped eating properly and had to be admitted to a hospital. After he showed signs of recovery, he was discharged from the hospital and thereafter he was sent back to the school.
“Things were fine till he attended the class of the teacher who had allegedly punished him earlier. The boy fainted and had to be hospitalized. He was discharged on the 11th February, 2012 and passed away the next day,” said the release.
Based on the assurance given by the village panchayat for a truce between the parents of the boy and the school authorities, the family cremated the child without any autopsy being carried out
The bereaved family reported the matter to the local police Feb 20, alleging that the private English medium school had caused the death of their child.
- Rights panel notice to Delhi over injured boy - Feb 13, 2012
- Woman delivers on road in Odisha, NHRC issues notice - Apr 12, 2012
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- Locked in dark room by teacher, six-year-old dies - Feb 21, 2012
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
- Scheme for children under rights panel's lens - Jul 29, 2011
- NHRC takes up lynching of truck driver near Agra - Sep 21, 2011
- Jharkhand issued notice on child labour - Apr 06, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to UP government - Jul 25, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Orissa - Jul 27, 2011
- Punjab bans use of cancer causing pesticides in Malwa - Apr 21, 2012
- NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh over attack on Swami Agnivesh - Mar 30, 2011
- Notice to Uttar Pradesh Police for dereliction of duty - Apr 28, 2011
- Sewer worker's death: Rights panel probes civic agencies - Aug 11, 2011
- Delhi hospital gets notice over radioactive waste - Aug 04, 2011