NHRC concerned over crime against women in AssamMay 29th, 2012 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, May 29 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Tuesday expressed concern over the rise in crimes against women in Assam but described the situation as better on the issue of rights violations.
“The data available with the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) shows that Assam is ranked second in the country in the category of crime against women. Most of the cases are related to kidnapping, rape and cases of domestic violence under section 498 (A) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC),” said NHRC chairman Justice K.G. Balakrishnan.
The NHRC described the situation in the state better on the issue of human rights in comparison to other states in the country.
Expressing concern over spurt in crime against women, he said: “Increasing cases of domestic violence indicates that women in Assam are becoming more aware about their rights, the high number of cases of kidnappings and rape are of concern.”
The Commission held a two-day camp sitting at the North Eastern Development Finance Corporation Limited House in Guwahati since Monday and heard about 50 cases, which were pending.
To contain the increasing number of crime against women, the NHRC Chairman, observed that the state government should concentrate on addressing social issues like the health.
NHRC member Satyabrata Pal mentioned that the women in this part of the country enjoy special status as there is no dowry system and no purdah (veil) system exists in this part of the country.
The NHRC member, however, pointed out that Assam is not doing well as far as the IMR (Infant Mortality Rate) and MMR (Maternal Mortality Rate) are concerned.
“There is no reason for high IMR and MMR in Assam but it is high in Assam,” he said and added that the government should intervene to contain the high IMR and MMR here.
The Commission also said that the cases it took up mainly related to bonded labour, prison reforms and crime against women etc.
- Assam records reduced maternal death ratio - Jan 29, 2012
- Assam moots law to stop officials from employing minors - Jun 12, 2012
- West Bengal tops states in crime against women - Aug 08, 2012
- NHRC pulls up Assam over witch hunting, custodial deaths - May 28, 2012
- Crimes against women on the rise in Assam - Mar 26, 2012
- Crimes against women rise; 25 percent of rapes in Delhi - Jan 21, 2011
- Assam rights panel moves NHRC over police atrocities - Jun 21, 2012
- Guwahati to have police commissioner system: Gogoi - Jul 17, 2012
- Rape cases against SC and ST women increasing - Mar 13, 2012
- Candlelight march against women harassment in Delhi - Feb 13, 2011
- India's infant mortality worse than neighbours: Azad - Mar 20, 2012
- More than 400 Afghan women jailed for 'moral crimes' - Mar 29, 2012
- Sex ratio better in villages than cities, says survey - Aug 10, 2011
- Castration as punishment for rape? The debate intensifies - May 06, 2011
- Primitive Indian mindsets resisting change (Comment) - Jul 21, 2012