NHRC asks Bihar for report on students’ thrashingJuly 19th, 2012 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Thursday issued notice to the Bihar government following a report that two school children were beaten till they fainted for refusing to eat a mid-day meal in which they found insects.
“The NHRC has issued notice to the Bihar’s chief secretary and the district magistrate, asking them to submit a report on allegations, as reported in the media, that two school students were thrashed by their headmaster till they fainted for refusing to eat mid-day meal of khichdi (rice cooked with pulses), in which they found insects,” said a statement from the NHRC.
“The two boys - Sanjay Kumar, 12, and his brother, Chandeshwar Kumar 13, studying in government school at a village near Patna - complained about the insects in the mid-day meal, were allegedly beaten by the headmaster. The commission has given four weeks’ time to the chief secretary and the district magistrate to respond,” the statement said.
“The commission has observed that the allegations, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of children,” said an NHRC official in a statement.
Taking suo motu cognizance of media reports, the commission has directed Bihar’s chief secretary to inform it about what steps are being taken by the administration for monitoring and supervision of mid-day meal scheme in the schools, including the quality of food being served to the children in the state.
- Notice to Bihar government on child rights violations - Sep 05, 2011
- Rights panel notice to Karnataka on school kids - Aug 14, 2012
- Haryana sits on NHRC reminder - Aug 23, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to UP government - Jul 25, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Haryana on child's death - Feb 29, 2012
- Five arrested after lizard found in mid-day meal - Jul 24, 2009
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
- Even animals won't eat Mid-Day Meal in Goa: Parrikar - Jul 31, 2012
- Rights panel seeks report on doctor's murder in Bihar jail - Jun 04, 2011
- Notice to Delhi government over 50 missing children - Jul 18, 2012
- Haryana to review mid-day meal scheme as kids fall sick - Jul 18, 2011
- NHRC takes up lynching of truck driver near Agra - Sep 21, 2011
- Jharkhand issued notice on child labour - Apr 06, 2011
- Delhi corporal punishment victim to be compensated - Mar 21, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Orissa - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: allegations, bihar government, chief secretary, cognizance, district magistrate, government school, headmaster, human rights commission, insects, mid day, national human rights, national human rights commission, New Delhi, nhrc, pulses, rights of children, sanjay kumar, school students, two boys, violation of human rights