NGO to ask MPs on steps they took to control tuberculosisMarch 5th, 2009 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 5 (IANS) An NGO, working for tuberculosis patients, has initiated a study to know steps taken by parliamentarians to control the disease in their constituencies.
“With nearly 1,000 people dying of tuberculosis everyday in India despite several high quality drugs and well established programmes, it become important to know what people’s representatives are doing to control and spread awareness about it,” said Bobby John of the NGO Advocacy to Control TB Internationally (Action) Thursday.
The NGO will send a questionnaire to all members of 14th Lok Sabha seeking information regarding steps taken by them to spread awareness about tuberculosis.
“Political will is required to ensure that treatment facilities are easily available to tuberculosis patients as majority of people suffering from the disease are not able to get treatment,” said John.
The data will then be collated and a report will be prepared that will be handed to the government to ensure parliamentarians are involved in tuberculosis awareness programme.
- 'Time to scale up work on TB control' - Jan 24, 2012
- Health ministry to tweak TB campaign - Mar 23, 2011
- Awareness programmes mark World Tuberculosis Day in Delhi - Mar 24, 2011
- Berlin 2010: TB, HIV and Lung Health: From research and innovation to solutions - Nov 02, 2010
- 'Urgent measures needed to control drug resistant TB' - Mar 23, 2012
- Addressing poverty in TB control: The Thailand experience - Nov 04, 2010
- Central team to probe drug resistant TB cases in Mumbai - Jan 17, 2012
- India battles staggering tuberculosis burden (March 24 is World TB Day) - Mar 23, 2011
- People with diabetes up to 2-3 times higher risk of TB - Sep 07, 2010
- Why is extra-pulmonary TB not a public health priority in India? - Sep 20, 2009
- Priority is to up collaborative TB-HIV activities - Jul 19, 2010
- Rights and Responsibilities Roadshow: Raising standards for care in Indonesia - Dec 05, 2009
- Government to rope in chemists to fight TB (March 24 is World Tuberculosis Day) - Mar 24, 2012
- Tuberculosis kills 68,000 Pakistanis every year - Mar 20, 2011
- Can TB patients say "Rights Here, Right Now"? - Jul 21, 2010