NGO demands CBI inquiry into tigress deathMay 18th, 2011 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, May 18 (IANS) Udai Foundation, a wildlife conservation NGO, Wednesday sought a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the death of a tigress a year ago.
Wildlife activist Shehla Masood also demanded the removal of chief wildlife warden of Madhya Pradesh H.S. Pabla.
“The devoted mother of three cubs was found dead May 18 last year in one of India’s best managed reserves, Bandhavgarh,” Masood told reporters.
“Having sired two previous litters of cubs, she left three young orphans facing an uncertain future,” she said.
“Between May 18 and 21, the forest department made three statements - death due to poisoning, death due to drowning, and death due to a fight.
“But the post mortem report which we took out through RTI made it clear that the tigress died after being hit by vehicles for at least five times.”
Masood said that on May 18, people illegally entering the park in jeeps for a “night drive” wounded the tigress that subsequently died.
Masood said the case was taken up by the Special Task Force a month after all the evidences had been destroyed by forest officers.
- Whither 'Sher Khans' of Madhya Pradesh? - Mar 29, 2011
- Forensic test of vehicle sought for causing tigress's death - May 28, 2010
- Tigress' death: Jairam Ramesh seeks report from Madhya Pradesh Government - May 27, 2010
- Bandhavgarh tigress died due to vehicle hit, say officials - May 21, 2010
- Roaring news! Translocated tigress gives birth - Dec 17, 2011
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Bhopal photo exhibition on tiger conservation - Aug 30, 2010
- Trap the killers, not tigers, says wildlife activist Shehla Masood - Jun 02, 2010
- Panna has a new resident - Kanha's orphan tigress - Nov 13, 2011
- Big B's Save Tiger programme in controversy - Dec 17, 2010
- Now, annual tiger assessment in every state - May 16, 2011
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Panna all set to welcome Kanha tigress - Mar 25, 2011
- Controversy dogs translocation of Indian bison - Feb 09, 2011
- Kanha's second orphaned tigress sent to Panna reserve - Nov 13, 2011