NGO conculdes arguments on decriminalising homosexualitySeptember 20th, 2008 - 12:22 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 19 (IANS) The Naz Foundation, an NGO that is seeking to de-criminalise homosexuality among consulting adults, Friday concluded its arguments on the issue before the Delhi High Court. The central government will present its case Sep 25. Naz counsel Anand Grover Thursday informed the court that homosexuality is legalised Nepal, Hong Kong and in South Africa and India should also change its laws. He cited several court judgements in support of his argument.
Meanwhile, the government had Thursday sought more time from the court to sort out differences between its home and health ministries over de-criminalisation of homosexuality among consulting adults.
Additional Solicitor General P.P. Malhotra, appearing for the government, told the court that the matter was under consideration and the cabinet would soon take a decision on the issue in view of the differences among the ministries.
The government, in its reply, had earlier taken a contradictory stand with the home ministry favouring the retention of the penal provision for homosexual acts while the health ministry was against the enforcement of Section 377 relating to unnatural offences in cases involving consenting adults.
- Activists slam government's stand on gay sex - Feb 23, 2012
- Government's flip-flop on gay sex ban (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Government in conflict over gay rights - Sep 18, 2008
- Criminal acts in privacy not immune, court told - Feb 22, 2012
- Apex court raps government for flip-flop on homosexuality (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear pleas against gay sex in April (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Don't decriminalise gay sex: Home ministry - Feb 23, 2012
- Apex court rebuffs government for flip-flop on homosexuality - Feb 28, 2012
- Homosexuality, lesbian relationships unnatural, SC told - Feb 15, 2012
- Homosexuality 'a criminal offence', government tells court - Sep 26, 2008
- Considering gays a minority won't divide nation: court - Oct 16, 2008
- Government disowns remarks on gays - Mar 21, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear pleas against gay sex in April - Feb 07, 2011
- Decriminalise homosexuality says Delhi High Court - Jul 02, 2009
- Show scientific proof to ban homosexuality: court - Oct 15, 2008